Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook won't stop adding an old Microsoft Exchange account

Hi folks — I just bought an Air with the M1 chip, and have been slowly setting it up. One thing that's baffling me is that every day, the Air adds an old Microsoft Exchange account to my Internet Accounts list. It's for a company I no longer work for, and naturally, I don't need it there, so I delete it from the list. But the next day, sure enough, I get a notification that it's adding it. Over and over. I never checked this email account from a home computer or phone to the best of my recollection, and can find no trace of it on my iPhone or in my iCloud preferences. I don't use the Mail app and just double-checked that it doesn't have any accounts set up in it.

Any ideas on what setting or preference or… anything I should be changing to disassociate this account with me? Could it be something on an older device? I have an older iPhone, and a Macbook Pro from 2009, but again, I'm pretty sure I never checked or set up this work email on a personal device.

Thanks in advance for any help or theories!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 7:28 AM

I seem to have solved it myself. I tried unsyncing iCloud keychain and rebooted, and the account didn't get added all day. Resynced, and it popped up right away. So it was just a matter of looking more carefully in that keychain — I'm not sure which thing I deleted ultimately did it, but there were a couple things in there that seemed like they may have related to my old login details for the work computer I was using while employed there. I rebooted, turned syncing the keychain off and on again, and the email account didn't pop up. I may be in the clear.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Ice Mummy

I seem to have solved it myself. I tried unsyncing iCloud keychain and rebooted, and the account didn't get added all day. Resynced, and it popped up right away. So it was just a matter of looking more carefully in that keychain — I'm not sure which thing I deleted ultimately did it, but there were a couple things in there that seemed like they may have related to my old login details for the work computer I was using while employed there. I rebooted, turned syncing the keychain off and on again, and the email account didn't pop up. I may be in the clear.

Oct 1, 2021 12:54 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, it, uh, happened again. Seems to happen at roughly the same time each day, somewhere between 3:00pm and 3:30pm my time. I took a screenshot of the popup I get when I go to delete it from Internet Accounts:

That last bit I edited out is a 2013 Macbook Pro I was briefly using prior to this new one, and which will no longer get through the whole startup process, so there's no way for me to play with any settings on it.

Those passwords in my keychain, which I deleted yesterday, were the only reference to my old company I can find anywhere in my settings on either this computer, or my phone. My other devices are the 2013 Macbook Pro that's been turned off this whole time and which I can't access, and the 2009 Macbook Pro that's also been off this whole time. I just booted it up and confirmed there's no mention of my old company in Internet Accounts, Keychain, etc., and signed out of iCloud before shutting it down again.

When it happens again tomorrow, before removing the account, I'll check the keychain again and see if those passwords somehow popped back in.

I visited https://appleid.apple.com/ and ran through all my info to make sure the email account doesn't appear anywhere, and just for kicks I also went to https://www.icloud.com/ and confirmed the same. I'm at a complete loss at this point.

Oct 1, 2021 3:50 PM in response to Ice Mummy

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Whew, they've changed pastebin & made it harder, but after pasting in, click Create new paste button, then Embed button, then copy the URL...

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA"></script>

The important part of the above is between the quote marks...

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/KuvnghqA

If pastebin is a problem for you then workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Sep 30, 2021 7:12 AM in response to BDAqua

I can't find it associated with my iCloud account in any way. On my iPhone, when I go into Settings > Apple ID > Name, Phone Numbers, Email, it's not listed and never has been. I don't have my Keychain synced to iCloud, and even if I did, as I said, I'm pretty sure I never used a personal device to sign into the account (and I definitely did not do anything related to iCloud or anything personal on my work device from that company). Do you think there's anywhere else I should be checking in iCloud settings that may list it somewhere?

Sep 30, 2021 9:37 AM in response to BDAqua

This started happening when all I'd done was sign in to the computer with my Apple ID. That first day, I'd also downloaded Chrome and Spotify, neither of which have any info about this work email. After a few days I transferred lots of files from my old computer to it; I'm not sure if that's what you mean. But the problem had started before that point.

I appreciate you puzzling this out!

Sep 30, 2021 12:25 PM in response to Ice Mummy

It just happened again, and I noticed two things: one, in the Internet Accounts panel, the iCloud account had Keychain checked. I had this unchecked on the settings on my phone and assumed that setting would carry over to any device signed into iCloud, but apparently not? I also saw that, when I deleted the Exchange account, the confirmation popup mentioned Keychain again. So I hit okay, and then went into the keychain and, yep, I must have logged into the work email from a personal device at some point, because there was an entry for that email in there. I've deleted it. I'll update tomorrow with whether that stopped it!

Oct 4, 2021 6:26 AM in response to BDAqua

Here's the "JavaScript embedding" link from Pastebin of my EtreCheck report. Haven't tried Safe Mode yet, as the Exchange account got added the moment I turned the computer on this morning, and I figure I missed my chance for the day. I'll reboot it in Safe Mode tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/7E2iyFgi"></script>

New Macbook won't stop adding an old Microsoft Exchange account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.