Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch SE screen flickering after WatchOS 8 update

Hi!

I downloaded the WatchOS 8 today and ever since the screen has made a slight flickering when in a dark room. Behind this link you can find a video of what it looks like: https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/ptcxhe/has_anyone_noticed_a_display_flickering_after/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Is this a problem with the new software or something else?

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 8

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 12:53 PM

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I have tried the regular restart and the forced restart but the problem persists.

The flickering happens as showed in the video in Reddit and it is only visible when the watch is at a dark room. It also happens across apps but is visible only in apps that have dark grey backgrounds as in settings for example. Exactly as in the video in Reddit.

Must have something to do with the update since there was no problem before it.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 12:53 PM in response to Jeff_W.

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I have tried the regular restart and the forced restart but the problem persists.

The flickering happens as showed in the video in Reddit and it is only visible when the watch is at a dark room. It also happens across apps but is visible only in apps that have dark grey backgrounds as in settings for example. Exactly as in the video in Reddit.

Must have something to do with the update since there was no problem before it.

Sep 30, 2021 10:48 AM in response to benkku13

Hello benkku13,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you're seeing a slight flickering on your Apple Watch screen following a watchOS update. We'd like to help.

Does this happen only in specific apps or across all apps on your Apple Watch?

Have you tried restarting your Apple Watch? Try that first, here's How to restart your Apple Watch.

Take care.

Oct 6, 2021 8:36 AM in response to Pacific_Ind

I elected to send mine in for servicing. hooray for apple care+ lol.

still a little disappointed as I've owned mine for only a month, but what can you do..os updates affect things sometimes in unpredictable ways, and apple's watch os update likely had something go weird with the display drivers and or possibly the ambient light sensor drivers.

look at it this way, its all made by the same company, so tracing it isn't likely to be the utter 3 ring circus that it can be with a windows or android product ^^

Oct 9, 2021 9:13 AM in response to Mik199

question:

Ciao ho lo stesso tuo problema sul mio Apple Watch SE .

tu hai risolto ?

translation:

Hi I have the same problem as you on my Apple Watch SE .

you have solved?

me-

reply: no, they weren't able to duplicate the issue so I'm hopeful the factory reset process the watch went through when I unpaired it to send it in for servicing addressed it.

reply translation:

no, non sono stati in grado di duplicare il problema, quindi spero che il processo di ripristino delle impostazioni di fabbrica che l'orologio ha attraversato quando l'ho disaccoppiato per inviarlo per la manutenzione lo ha risolto.

Oct 9, 2021 9:26 AM in response to Mik199

translation:

So you sent it for assistance ? It's a hardware problem?

my response:

I wasn't sure, so I decided to err on the side of caution. I doubt it is with so many apple watch users(of various models) over on reddit reporting the exact same problem. so its more likely than not software related.

one or two devices its likely hardware. multiple across multiple models, its most likely software.

translation:

Non ne ero sicuro, quindi ho deciso di sbagliare sul lato della cautela. Dubito che sia con così tanti utenti di Apple Watch (di vari modelli) su reddit che riportano lo stesso identico problema. quindi è più probabile che non sia correlato al software.

uno o due dispositivi il suo probabile hardware. multiplo su più modelli, il suo software più probabile.

Apple watch SE screen flickering after WatchOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.