Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spatial Audio switches back to stereo

Hi,

Spatial Audio switches to stereo when my iPhone 13 MaxPro screen turns black.

Is this something normal? Is there a way to keep it going even when the screen goes to black or I turn the screen black by pressing the power button on the side?

Thnx!

Alpay

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 11:39 AM

Greetings, alpay132.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We can understand why you’d want Spatial Audio to stay enabled. 

What happens if you select the Always On option?

“Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your iPhone or iPad

1. Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Tap Music.
  4. Under Audio, tap Dolby Atmos. 
  5. Choose Automatic, Always On, or turn Dolby Atmos off.” About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music

We hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of the community.

Sincerely.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 11:39 AM in response to alpay132

Greetings, alpay132.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We can understand why you’d want Spatial Audio to stay enabled. 

What happens if you select the Always On option?

“Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your iPhone or iPad

1. Update your iPhone or iPad to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
  2. Go to Settings.
  3. Tap Music.
  4. Under Audio, tap Dolby Atmos. 
  5. Choose Automatic, Always On, or turn Dolby Atmos off.” About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music

We hope this helps! Thanks for being a part of the community.

Sincerely.

Sep 30, 2021 12:47 PM in response to alpay132

Hey, alpay132. 

Great callout! If you do not have Apple Music, you would be unable to use the Dolby Atmos feature.

“If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can listen to select songs in spatial audio with Dolby Atmos. Learn which devices support Dolby Atmos, how to change settings for Dolby Atmos, and find answers to common questions so you can start listening.” About spatial audio with Dolby Atmos in Apple Music 

Warmly.

Sep 30, 2021 12:56 PM in response to Eric--F

Thank you Eric~F,

I am a little confused.

I can hear/use the spatial audio when listening to youtube & youtube music even without having the Apple Music membership. But my issue is that spatial audio turns off / turns into stereo when screen turns black after waiting a little bit or when I turn the screen off by pressing the side button.

When I turn the phone back on everything goes back to where it was and I can continue listening with Spatial Audio.

Best.

Spatial Audio switches back to stereo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.