Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur update

Since performing the update it will not complete the install and is frozen. I have tried to hard reset and I have even let it go completely flat but nothing is working. I get the same thing, it gets to about 95% (the loading bar) then just stops and freezes. Please help

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 3:32 AM

HayleyHoughton wrote:

It wasn't already installed. It said last update was in 2020. I'm not sure of the version I installed as it won't let me in now to look.
Whatever the latest one I guess?

Where was that said in original question ??

Since it appears this may Actually be an upGRADE , which is much different than an upDATE - suggest shutdown the computer by whatever means required including Power Button. Disconnect all external devices. Connect to charger. Restart the computer in >>>> Safe Mode <<<<<.

Safe Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extension and Fonts so loads slowly - Normal. It can take up to 10 or more minutes to eventually start and it may or may not allow the upGrade process to complete - hopefully successfully.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 3:32 AM in response to HayleyHoughton

HayleyHoughton wrote:

It wasn't already installed. It said last update was in 2020. I'm not sure of the version I installed as it won't let me in now to look.
Whatever the latest one I guess?

Where was that said in original question ??

Since it appears this may Actually be an upGRADE , which is much different than an upDATE - suggest shutdown the computer by whatever means required including Power Button. Disconnect all external devices. Connect to charger. Restart the computer in >>>> Safe Mode <<<<<.

Safe Mode will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extension and Fonts so loads slowly - Normal. It can take up to 10 or more minutes to eventually start and it may or may not allow the upGrade process to complete - hopefully successfully.

Sep 30, 2021 2:27 AM in response to HayleyHoughton

HayleyHoughton wrote:

Since performing the update it will not complete the install and is frozen. I have tried to hard reset and I have even let it go completely flat but nothing is working. I get the same thing, it gets to about 95% (the loading bar) then just stops and freezes. Please help

This implies Big Sur is already installed. What version of Big Sur is already installed ?? What updated version of Big Sur is being attempted to install ??

MacOS Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.