Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mirror to TV not in full screen after upgrading to IOS 15?

Hi,

anyone has issue with iPad mirror to tv and the video played is no longer in full screen after upgrading to IOS 15?

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 11:36 AM

I think I found the reason. I updated all my iPads to iOS 15 and I experienced same issue of jagstac. Simply there are two functions: if you choose the Mirror my video you will get exact replica of your iPad video in the TV. This is not what we want. However if in the player that you are using (e.g. within YouTube or within other similar streaming websites) you choose a special button to send the video to another device, then you get the full screen experience. It is extremely important that you use the feature from the player and not from the iOS itself.

I just did it and it works.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 11:36 AM in response to jagstac

I think I found the reason. I updated all my iPads to iOS 15 and I experienced same issue of jagstac. Simply there are two functions: if you choose the Mirror my video you will get exact replica of your iPad video in the TV. This is not what we want. However if in the player that you are using (e.g. within YouTube or within other similar streaming websites) you choose a special button to send the video to another device, then you get the full screen experience. It is extremely important that you use the feature from the player and not from the iOS itself.

I just did it and it works.

Sep 30, 2021 7:07 AM in response to jasonfromsg

Mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor will preserve the iPad aspect ratio. Viewing video from a video player App, such as YouTube, should display the video content in its native aspect ratio and resolution.

Put another way - when Mirroring your iPad display to an external monitor, expect to see black bars to infill where the iPad screen doesn’t match the monitor screen - whereas 16:9 video content will fill the screen of most 16:9 monitors.

In preserving the source resolution, some monitors (such as 4K and greater) may display 1080HD content with borders on all sides; you may need to change your monitor settings, or employ your monitor’s display zoom functions, to fill the screen.

One caveat, some monitors have settings that attempt to “stretch” the display content to match the aspect ratio of the display. This feature, if present, can introduce distortion (e.g., “people” develop strange proportions - such as short and wide).

Nov 15, 2021 7:43 AM in response to jasonfromsg

I performed the update to iOS 15.1 on both my iPad and iPhone this past Friday (11/12/21) and am encountering the same issue with screen mirroring to my Apple TV from either device. Prior to the update, I would enable screen mirroring to my Apple TV and play a video embedded in a website from Safari/Chrome/Firefox, toggle the full screen icon in the embedded video player and my device would display "connecting to AirPlay". At that point, the video would display on my TV in full screen (maintaining the 16:9 aspect ratio "black bars" when applicable).

Following the update to iOS 15.1, I'd follow the same steps of connecting to my Apple TV via the screen mirroring icon, but when I attempt to play a video embedded in a web browser (btw, this issue happens now in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox) and toggle the embedded video player to full screen, I do not get the prompt that it is connecting to AirPlay and the image size basically just mimics what is on my iPad or iPhone screen. Whereas connecting to AirPlay provided a smooth image and sound with no lag, now the videos have occasional lag and pixelation. On the other hand, when I play a video using the YouTube app on my iPad, it still will show the "connecting/connected to AirPlay" prompt and display on my TV in full screen. This particular app is working correctly after the update.

I can compensate by changing the aspect ratio of my TV to enlarge the web embedded video so it encompasses the entire screen (again, preserving the aspect ratio) but because it's not connecting to AirPlay, there's lots of lag and interruptions to the video as it buffers continuously. This was not an issue prior to the update nor is it with the YouTube app.

Sep 30, 2021 6:33 AM in response to jasonfromsg

As far as I have been aware for many years, now, the iPad, in many circumstances,has never, ever mirrored to full screen on any large size flat screen TVs.

When an iPad is mirrored, it is an exact mirror of screen size ratio of the iPad's screen

This has always been the case.

Also, for some mirrored content from the iPad, like movies, the screen size is even smaller, sometimes containing black areas all around the mirrored image.

This has always, ALWAYS been the norm and expected behaviour.

Sorry.

Oct 3, 2021 12:44 AM in response to jasonfromsg

Hello, I have iPhone 12 pro and 12 mini and twice can’t make full screen from navigator and streaming video with my Apple TV.

And a friend of mine with iPhone 13 pro Max say to me that he has also the same problem.

iPhones are in last 15.0.1 iOS

and AppleTV are in version 15 also.

So all are up to date.

Before iOs 15 no problem after update impossible to make full screen with streaming and a browser (safari, chrome, Firefox).

But full screen still work with app like YouTube, no problem with it.

Phone and AppleTV all are reboot but no effect.

Any idea ?

Oct 7, 2021 4:31 AM in response to Dr4l3g

i have no answer for you... but i seriously regret updating my iPad (v6), like you Before iOs 15 no problem, after update impossible to make full screen with streaming and a browser (safari, chrome, Firefox)., i have an old ipad mini 2... absolutely no problems with mirror screening full screen... i used to experience not a full screen when i would use lighting to hdmi adaptor, but never an issue with airplay until this wretched ios 15 update

Oct 9, 2021 4:10 PM in response to MarcoMacP

Thanks... but i do hope that apple fix this, THE SIMPLICITY of apple has been a great help to the elderly and those not technically aware, and has been wonderful during the last 2 yrs, my example was a funeral being mirror screened for my folks, SIMPLICITY... being my mother (77yrs) has had iPad for 18 months is able to do this.

also my in example, the player doesn't have the (send the video to another device) feature... never an issue with airplay until this wretched ios 15 update

iPad mirror to TV not in full screen after upgrading to IOS 15?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.