Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any software to do with a MIDI device doesn't start up, crashes, or not responding.

I just made the transition from Mojave to Big Sur on my 2018 Mac Mini. I updated all software and device drivers (gaming mouse, pen tablet, etc.). Everything transitioned well, except for anything to do with MIDI.

Logic Pro, Audio MIDI Setup (specifically when trying to 'Show MIDI Studio'), MIDI2LR app (Adobe Lightroom Plugin) all do not start up when initiated. This happens with or without MIDI devices plugged into the computer.

The MIDI devices I am using are . . .

• Roland Quad-Capture USB Audio/MIDI interface
    • Audio side of things are functioning properly with updated drivers from Roland.
  • Korg nanoKONTROL 2
    • I have run the uninstaller from Korg as the nanoKONTROL 2 needs to use the default Apple MIDI driver for Big Sur.

Is there any way to tell if there are some lingering files/driver/applications that are messing things up?

Is this a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue?

Not sure where to go from here . . .

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 6:13 PM

Problem resolved.

The problem was the Roland Quad Capture driver. The driver needed to be ALLOWED in the System Preferences - Security & Privacy settings. That said - the ALLOW request is only available for the first 30 minutes after installing the driver. Then it disappears. I missed this.

Supposedly, missing this step enables the Quad Capture to use its audio capabilities, but causes system wide MIDI problems - even when it's not plugged into the computer.

I uninstalled the driver. Reinstalled it. Allowed it in Security & Privacy. Now everything is working again.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 6:13 PM in response to marsi00

Problem resolved.

The problem was the Roland Quad Capture driver. The driver needed to be ALLOWED in the System Preferences - Security & Privacy settings. That said - the ALLOW request is only available for the first 30 minutes after installing the driver. Then it disappears. I missed this.

Supposedly, missing this step enables the Quad Capture to use its audio capabilities, but causes system wide MIDI problems - even when it's not plugged into the computer.

I uninstalled the driver. Reinstalled it. Allowed it in Security & Privacy. Now everything is working again.

Any software to do with a MIDI device doesn't start up, crashes, or not responding.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.