Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 update - safari video black screen again

Is mine only or anyone else facing the issue with iOS 15. I'm a user of iPhone 7 Plus and just recently updated iOS 15. After update I can't play a video in safari...i can hear the sound in video n it's running Bt the screen is completely black...

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 3:06 PM

21 replies

Oct 1, 2021 12:05 PM in response to bikram144

Hey bikram144,

It sounds like you're having issues playing videos in Safari after updating your iPhone. We can understand wanting to get that resolved. We want to help.

We'd recommend disabling experimental features for Safari to see if that helps. You can do that in Settings > Safari on your iPhone.

If that doesn't help, we'd suggest clearing history and cookies to see if that resolves the issue: Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2022 11:55 AM in response to Dylan1408

In same situation, it is pretty clear that there was a fix by disabling the GPU process: media, then it was removed, so seems no fix is available. Clear to me that it is intentional to force updating to a new phone. The one last thing one could try is back dating to a older iOS. Not an option for me since work requires updates to current. It doesn’t seem to matter the browser, have same problem with a different browser too, so IOS. I’m rethinking commitment to Apple Ecosystem if this is what they have to resort to.

Apr 6, 2022 10:07 PM in response to bikram144

It was an issue that seems recurring since few years ago.

One plausible and sound solution among others were turning off "Optimize Storage" for photos/videos in iCloud settings on the iPhone

Settings > Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases (the tab right under "Settings" wording, with your name and avatar) > iCloud > Photos > Optimise Phone Storage (Check or uncheck).

[My bad for not bookmarking the source that time and being unable to get back there again, will refurnish with link soon]

Long story short, it DIDN'T WORK for me.

After I did it, it still cant display visual output of the video (just black screen on the video player's frame), but audio output plays as usual. This happens to videos from various browsers (Safari, Chrome) and e-learning platform etc.

I unfortunately used the same phone as you, but I checked that there are 6GB left on my storage, which should provide enough resource to load the data?

iOS 15 update - safari video black screen again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.