Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iCloud storage delete my original files after backing them up?

After paying for iCloud storage, I realised that the videos I used to have saved on my macbook pro now need to be downloaded from the cloud before I can open them.

Does the iCloud storage service always delete the original files from a device after backing them up to the cloud?

Is there any way to disable this feature, so I can keep my originals and not have to spend extra data to download them every time I need them?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 11:28 PM

Files that are backed up are in original format , iCloud storage don't exactly delete the files after backing to iCloud however , if there isn't sufficient space in iCloud , users use optimise feature Optimise storage space on your Mac - Apple Support , so whenever a sufficient space is created those files will be downloaded .

you can uncheck the box of optimise , go to system preferences > in the bottom it will be shown Change iCloud preferences for your Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 11:28 PM in response to Triantafillia_Memisakis

Files that are backed up are in original format , iCloud storage don't exactly delete the files after backing to iCloud however , if there isn't sufficient space in iCloud , users use optimise feature Optimise storage space on your Mac - Apple Support , so whenever a sufficient space is created those files will be downloaded .

you can uncheck the box of optimise , go to system preferences > in the bottom it will be shown Change iCloud preferences for your Apple ID on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 1, 2021 10:03 AM in response to Triantafillia_Memisakis

I don't use optimization so I'll leave you with these documents outlining how it works:

How to free up storage space on your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT206996

https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/from-icloud-photos-phtf5e48489c/mac

Optimize Mac Storage: Stores smaller versions of your photos on your Mac when storage space is limited, and keeps the original, full-size photos in iCloud. Choose this option to conserve space on your Mac. To restore the originals to your Mac, just select “Download Originals to this Mac.”

Oct 1, 2021 10:36 PM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos, I appreciate you taking the time to answer, but I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not talking about icloud photos. I don't store my photos on my laptop through that utility.

What I'm talking about is videos and other files that I have stored in various folders of my macbook pro.

The originals seem to have disappeared and I am forced to download them onto my device every time I wish to view them, which uses up a lot of data and is pointless, given I still have 900GB of available space on my laptop.

Anyway advice on how to disable that?

Oct 3, 2021 9:39 AM in response to Triantafillia_Memisakis

I see Apple has recommended different documentation but the ones I provided outlined the reason for what you were seeing with optimization in the context of photos. I just used those to illustrate the feature. (I guess neither you nor recommending team picked up on that.) It also talked about turning off optimization which can be applied to various categories.

Does iCloud storage delete my original files after backing them up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.