Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ancient backup of Iphoto Library - how to I view the images

Hello!

I have a really old time machine backup from a macbook (circa 2009) where I stored all of my images on Iphoto Libraries. I'd really like to take a look at the libraries but I now have a much more recent macbook pro that doesnt have Iphoto.

When I look at my old time machine backup files, the icons are just blank pages and they say (zero bytes) which makes me really worried that my iphoto libraries are lost.

Can anyone help?

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 6:26 AM

First you need to restore it from Time Machine:

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

As you saw, it is difficult to browse the actual time machine backup because it is mainly just links.

Once you restore your library, If you have iPhoto, you should be able to open it. If you have transitioned to Photos you will need to migrate it, Launch Photos with the option key held down and point it to the restored library. Photos will create a new Photos library that you can use to look at your images.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 6:26 AM in response to ArmitageShanks1

First you need to restore it from Time Machine:

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

As you saw, it is difficult to browse the actual time machine backup because it is mainly just links.

Once you restore your library, If you have iPhoto, you should be able to open it. If you have transitioned to Photos you will need to migrate it, Launch Photos with the option key held down and point it to the restored library. Photos will create a new Photos library that you can use to look at your images.

Ancient backup of Iphoto Library - how to I view the images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.