Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation not working after OS 8 update

I updated my watch series 6 with the OS8 update and since then I cannot use dictation to reply to “Messages”. I have verified that Siri is on and my keyboard is good.

Can someone please help with this.

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 3:46 PM

24 replies

Oct 2, 2021 1:16 PM in response to Gingergirlie3

Hi there Gingergirlie3,

We understand you're unable to dictate text when sending messages from your Apple Watch. We're glad you've taken the time to connect with us here in Apple Support Communities, and we'd like to learn more to see how we can help.

To begin, have you checked to be sure Enable Dictation is turned on in Settings  > General > Keyboard on your paired iPhone? Learn more here:

Dictate text on iPhone

Next, do you see the option to select the microphone to dictate text in Messages on your Apple Watch? Learn more about how that works here:

Send messages from Apple Watch

Send over these details, and we'll take a closer look from there.

Cheers.

Oct 22, 2021 11:51 AM in response to Gingergirlie3

I had this same issue to and it took a while to figure it out. After watching a YouTube video, it turns out that Apple now makes you go a longer route. While you are within the messaging app on your watch, tap on a current thread, then tap the icon in the bottom left hand corner that looks like an A, then tap on the icon that looks like a sound wave !|!||!|! From there you would record a message, tap the middle of the screen and it will auto send.

Nov 14, 2021 4:51 AM in response to waverunner80

Cumbersome for sure. Not sure why this change was needed. I would really like to get the option back because it makes texting so much easier. The option to write the text one letter at a time on a small area is ridiculous and should not be there by default.

wish I had never updated. Trying to figure out now how to rollback the update.

Dec 17, 2021 4:02 PM in response to Gingergirlie3

This change is total crap. This watch is now useless for me. I work with both hands a lot and can answer messages across the shop with one touch of a button.. Now I can't do that. If I have to tap 3 or 4 times and even then the button is smaller and harder to use, why even bother. Sad because I still have a year on this contract with Verizon. Why don't you just make an app that no matter what you select, it randomly does something else. That would be about as useful. Thanks for nothing. Last Apple Watch for me!!!!!

Sincerely,

A very ticked off user

Feb 28, 2022 4:32 PM in response to AvalonPL

I think most are complaining--I know I am--about the removal of the feature that allowed you to dictate a text message. The new system--which requires a cumbersome two-touch process--produces voice memos, not texts as the final product. I am trying to send a text and would like to dictate it as I have in the past. Apple should warn users when features like this are being removed with an update: I would have never updated had I known.

Dictation not working after OS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.