Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malicious websites caught at router

Hello,

I recently changed ISPs and chose the fastest WiFi service possible. This service comes with supplemental Advanced Security available on the router which I enabled.

This security is reporting attempts to visit malicious websites by every iOS device in our home. However, no one is entering these websites in any browser. I am on ios 15 with an iphone 12 and I have deleted Safari history and no, I am not jailbroken. So what gives and how can I fix this issue? We have been coming near or going over our data caps as well but shouldn't be using anywhere near so much data.

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 6:12 PM

Well, thank you, it does feel better knowing I am not getting trojaned by something. But safe or not, I can't afford to be paying my isp monthly for data overages caused by these runaway adware sites.

Sigh, I may have caused the increased data usage myself as I did recently download a bunch of apps from our family sharing list. I was just curious what they were because many had concerning, naughty app titles. In the end, they were all innocent enough for me not to have to raise them as an issue with my kids (most were games or shopping apps). So I will delete all of those now too.

But any advice on how I can reduce our overall data usage with our isp? We have lived here a little more than a year and until I changed our service, never had any overages. Side note, our new plan has WAY faster speeds.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 6:12 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Well, thank you, it does feel better knowing I am not getting trojaned by something. But safe or not, I can't afford to be paying my isp monthly for data overages caused by these runaway adware sites.

Sigh, I may have caused the increased data usage myself as I did recently download a bunch of apps from our family sharing list. I was just curious what they were because many had concerning, naughty app titles. In the end, they were all innocent enough for me not to have to raise them as an issue with my kids (most were games or shopping apps). So I will delete all of those now too.

But any advice on how I can reduce our overall data usage with our isp? We have lived here a little more than a year and until I changed our service, never had any overages. Side note, our new plan has WAY faster speeds.

Oct 1, 2021 4:55 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

I have the app, my kids put it there so I could see some funny video links they send me (as they won't always open without the TikTok app, although some do). But I don't really use it and I am happily headed to delete and hard restart my phone now. Fingers crossed this stops the mystery network traffic because that app should not be on my kid's school ipad - where the router is also catching malicious traffic.

Malicious websites caught at router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.