Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

email search

Hi I bought a new MacBook pro recently and the email search is so terrible. It doesn't find emails from a week ago. I cannot believe how awful it is compared with the iPad search and my last MacBook pro. Anyone got any ideas as to how to resolve?

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.11

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 9:31 AM

haj1510 wrote:

Hi I bought a new MacBook pro recently and the email search is so terrible. It doesn't find emails from a week ago. I cannot believe how awful it is compared with the iPad search and my last MacBook pro. Anyone got any ideas as to how to resolve?

verify your Mail is included in Spotlight preferences

>System Preferences>Spotlight>Search Results>Mail

You can rebuild the Spotlight search, if no resolve

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2021 9:31 AM in response to haj1510

haj1510 wrote:

verify your Mail is included in Spotlight preferences

>System Preferences>Spotlight>Search Results>Mail

You can rebuild the Spotlight search, if no resolve

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 12, 2021 6:52 PM in response to haj1510

Similar to haj1510, I bought my MacBook Air recently, about a month ago. At first my Mac was working better than our home desktop Mac mini. But then all of a sudden it stopped working. I'm up to dat on all updates. And I tried the initial fix of " verify your Mail is included in Spotlight preferences. >System Preferences>Spotlight>Search Results>Mail". Mail was already included. And I'm hesitant to rebuild anything because... this MacBook is only a month old. why are things not working already?

Oct 13, 2021 12:26 AM in response to haj1510

For me this was working until recently. Either the latest OS update or the iCloud+ additions have caused it to stop working. I have rebuilt all mailboxes, cleared the cache, and checked the checkbox in the spotlight settings.

Now, I guess I have to rebuild again. My question is what has caused it to suddenly change when it has been working perfectly for years? On another note the latest Safari update seems to be awful as well every time I open it within a few minutes the fan goes full speed like the laptop is going to take off and it becomes unresponsive especially when using the inspector. I have switched back to Chrome and almost ready to transfer back to a Windows laptop, since it seems Apple is caring less and less about user experience. Not really the value and quality I have been use to.

email search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.