Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac locations in finder does not show drives on Big Sur 11.6

I think it happened with the latest Big Sur update (to 11.6); in my MBP Finder sidebar locations I can see my iMac (in another room and on the same network.) I used to click on it and see my iMac Macintosh HD and all attached drives. They are no longer visible. I have screen sharing and permissions on at both locations.

Any ideas as to what's wrong and how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Les

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 6:49 AM

Leslie Bartiromo1 wrote:

I think it happened with the latest Big Sur update (to 11.6); in my MBP Finder sidebar locations I can see my iMac (in another room and on the same network.) I used to click on it and see my iMac Macintosh HD and all attached drives. They are no longer visible. I have screen sharing and permissions on at both locations.

Thanks,
Les

You do not make it clear what you are seeing or not seeing....

Locations?

Is it open...? spinning the carrot to see what is listed? Move the mouse to the right side to reveal the carrot.

Verify from

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar>Locations—select Macintosh HD, Hard Disk, External Disk, etc (?)

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201732

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/finder-mchlp2605/mac

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2021 6:49 AM in response to Leslie Bartiromo1

Leslie Bartiromo1 wrote:

Thanks,
Les

You do not make it clear what you are seeing or not seeing....

Locations?

Is it open...? spinning the carrot to see what is listed? Move the mouse to the right side to reveal the carrot.

Verify from

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar>Locations—select Macintosh HD, Hard Disk, External Disk, etc (?)

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201732

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/finder-mchlp2605/mac

Oct 11, 2021 10:22 AM in response to artifactink

You are in complete control of what to see in your Sidebar.

Drag a folder there to the Favorites area, and it shows.

You want All Files:

Create a smart folder containing All Files, and put it there.

I don't know how many files you have, but in my mac they are in the millions. Most of them I never need to see, or know they exist. That is why I still think that having a window showing All Files is useless.

But you want that, fine. Yes it can be done.

You don't want Recents: go to the Finder preferences and uncheck Recents. I did too.

Oct 11, 2021 8:52 AM in response to artifactink

Apple replaced "All Files" by "Recents" some years ago (maybe when Mojave appeared, I am not sure).

"All files" was completely useless, even more that "Recents" is. You have SO MANY files, why have them all lumped together?

(Still, you CAN reproduce this - just make a "Smart Folder" with an all encompassing search; again, useless, but if that is what you want, go ahead)

As leroydouglas pointed out, you can show your drives and pretty much any other location you want.

To show a specific folder in the Sidebar, just drag it there.

Oct 11, 2021 10:14 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Why? I need more than just "recents" and really, the all files was much more useful.

I have changed the preferences, I have dragged files into the sidebar, and STILL they are pre-empted by the "recents".

This "we know better than you what you want, and you can't get rid of our decision" is not a good answer.

HOW do I get my preferences back? These solutions have not worked. HOW do I get rid of that "recents" preference PERMANENTLY?

Mac locations in finder does not show drives on Big Sur 11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.