Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Locations not showing up in Finder since Big Sur update

Hi, after the Big Sur update, the Mac began acting more like a Windows machine. Ease of use went out the window. In order to access external HD's and even the laptop's HD, I must go to the Desktop and open, instead of just opening a window and browsing down from drive to drive. Everything is selected in Finder Preferences, but the external disks and the computer's HD do not show up in the window. What to do?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 3, 2021 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 11:08 AM

3. Object opens as a window with info about it; suggests an app with which to open the object

You are pressing too hard. You are invoking Force Touch on the Trackpad.

Either don't press so hard or disable Force Touch in the Trackpad System Preferences.

Similar questions

9 replies

May 4, 2021 8:40 AM in response to djanga

Hi there djanga,

We understand you aren't seeing the Locations section in the Finder sidebar, and we'd like to see how we can assist.

Under the Sidebar section of Finder Preferences, check to make sure you have options selected as desired. If they're currently selected, try de-selecting them, then restart your Mac and select them again.

Learn more here: Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Cheers!

May 20, 2021 11:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have a MacBook Pro, 2018 (?) with the latest system software. Drag and drop just does not work as it used to. Here's what happens:

1. Select object.
  2. Click and hold and begin the drag.
  3. Object opens as a window with info about it; suggests an app with which to open the object
  4. To get the drag and drop, I have to depress SHIFT or COMMAND, click, hold, and move.
  5. If I attempt brush by, aka swift click, hold, and drag, the name of the object is highlighted in blue for editing, and it goes nowhere.
  6. It works like that everywhere, which means I have no click and drag without extra buttons.

Now, someone once said something about "PERMISSIONS". Well, I never had to do a lick with permissions before in order to get my Mac to work like a Mac. I don't want to mess with Mac "PERMISSIONS" because my Unix is very little.

May 20, 2021 11:12 AM in response to djanga

What is your pointing device? Built-in trackpad on a MacBook? Mouse? Which one?

This looks like a problem with primary or secondary clicking, or perhaps an issue with "3D Touch". Some recent mac trackpads have "Force Touch" or "3D Touch", whereas if you click heavily it will do something different than "regular" click.

You can go to System Preferences->Trackpad and UNcheck this box:

What do you see in the

May 20, 2021 9:05 AM in response to Erica_S1

Network has been in the sidebar of my Macs but since I bought an M1 MacBook Pro for my wife and installed it on the same network, Location no longer shows Network in the sidebar on my 16" MacBook Pro OS 11.3.1. I tried de-selecting all the options, restarting my Mac and selecting them again but Network still does not show up in the sidebar under Locations.

I've had Big Sure installed on my 16" MacBook Pro since it came out and had no problem finding Network under Location until this morning.

Network does show up in the sidebar under Locations in my wife's new M1 MacBook Pro and I can connect to my 16" MacBook Pro OS 11.3.1 from hers. I need to be able to connect to her M1 Mac from mine. I'd appreciate any other suggestions you might have. Thanks!!!

May 20, 2021 9:31 AM in response to waynefromcanton

This morning, I noticed a very tiny arrow (>) to the right of Locations. I clicked on it and it dropped down to reveal the disks. Well, well, well.

My next big issue is where is drag and drop? I used to be able to drag and drop on Macs, no problem. Now, to get drag and drop, I've to press the Command or Shift key. Ridiculous. The Mac is not a Windows machine.

Locations not showing up in Finder since Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.