Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change folder icons

Reinstalled MacOS Big Sur 11.6 last week (had to do an initial install with MacOS mojave from internet restore then upgrade).

I now can't seem to change the folder icons. When pasting a new image to the folder icon I am left with this generic icon not the picture:

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? I have tried searching

forums and google but not much luck as the word "icon" just produces

loads of results which are not relevant.

Thanks

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 6:20 AM

4 replies

Oct 2, 2021 6:39 AM in response to ollie247

ollie247 wrote:

Reinstalled MacOS Big Sur 11.6 last week (had to do an initial install with MacOS mojave from internet restore then upgrade).

I now can't seem to change the folder icons. When pasting a new image to the folder icon I am left with this generic icon not the picture:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/ddce2244-524f-47c5-acff-df8608586391
Anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? I have tried searching
forums and google but not much luck as the word "icon" just produces
loads of results which are not relevant.

Thanks

It has been a long time since I tried changing a folder icon—I do know the method seems to change a bit with each macOS.

I just tired it on Big Sur— Command N to create a new folder, took a tiny screen shot for my test...

Command i opens the info pane like you show.

Opened the screenshot, Command A to select All, and then paste this on the highlighted icon in the upper left— seemed to work without issue.

You can not copy and paste a icns file

If that doesn't work for you following all the steps above— try from a Safe Boot to verify there is no third party interference. SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Oct 2, 2021 8:13 AM in response to ollie247

ollie247 wrote:

Yes, just to clarify that is the method I am using to try to change the icon. I am opening folder info pane and trying to copy and paste onto the icon in top left corner of folder info pane.

It clearly pastes the icon, as it changes the icon from default folder icon to the generic file type icon but clearly is not displaying it properly for some reason.

I have also tried creating a new user and testing under this new user but still get the same problem.

and this is trying a simple .png image.....?

You can not copy and paste .icns files

ICNS files are primarily used for displaying the application icon in the macOS Finder and in the macOS Dock

Oct 2, 2021 8:10 AM in response to ollie247

Yes, just to clarify that is the method I am using to try to change the icon. I am opening folder info pane and trying to copy and paste onto the icon in top left corner of folder info pane.

It clearly pastes the icon, as it changes the icon from default folder icon to the generic file type icon but clearly is not displaying it properly for some reason.

I have also tried creating a new user and testing under this new user but still get the same problem.

Cannot change folder icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.