Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won’t boot from external SSD if other external drives are attched

I have three mechanical drives (one powered WD and two WD passport drives) attached to my 2015 5k Retina iMac. I boot to the Mac OS ( Big Sur) from a Samsung T5 1TB and it runs like a dream. My issue is I can’t boot with the other drives attached. I get the grey screen and the folder icon. Unplug the externals and it boots fine. Somehow the external drives are stopping the boot. Ive tried the whole unplug and PRAM zapping thing but it doesn’t work. Any help appreciated.

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 9:56 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 2, 2021 10:25 AM in response to Animator811

Are any of the drives powered by an external ac adapter, or are they self-powered and drawing power from the Mac through the USB(?) port?

It's likely that the combination of drives is trying to draw more power than the iMac can provide.

Consider looking into purchasing a powered hub to maintain the connection of all these drives to your Mac.

OWC/Macsales has a number of solutions for this at: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks

iMac won’t boot from external SSD if other external drives are attched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.