Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine external SSD not showing on startup on 24" iMac

I recently bought and use a Netac Slim 1TB SSD as a Time Machine backup for my new 24" iMac. My iMac is up to date- every time I start my iMac the SSD shows on desktop but not on the 3rd (usually) day?? I need to reconnect for it to appear. I've tried many things all to no avail with the same issue on 3rd day. I used the supplied USB to USB-C cable, an apple USB-C charge cable, both connected to the USB3 & USB4 port but each time it still persists. Does anyone know how to fix this? I format it under AFPS (case sensitive). Is it the drive? Thanks in advance

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 10:58 AM

Formatting should not be an issue. APFS is the preferred format. My drives either work or not and not intermittent. Usually means the cable or drive but it appears you have tried 2 different cables so perhaps it is the drive. I had a Netac and had issues before so no longer use.

Similar questions

3 replies

Time Machine external SSD not showing on startup on 24" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.