Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 plus water damage

I recently got an iPhone 8 plus battery replaced, and I decided to take it to a swimming pool and dip it in water, everything went fine until I started noticing that I was receiving notifications from Siri saying "Siri is not available, or something" I thought it was probably because there was water on the home button and it was messing with it, I tried to push the home button and it's not working.

later on, I started to see water under the screen, and it's still spreading, and when I use the home button, it either doesn't work or it goes nuts and clicks way too quickly, but touch ID still works, anyone can tell me anything that can fix this?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 11:05 AM

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

Minimize exposing your iPhone to soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids—for example, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, and solvents. 

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2021 11:05 AM in response to Jadeb0i

To prevent liquid damage, avoid these:

• Swimming or bathing with your iPhone
  • Exposing your iPhone to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on
  • Using your iPhone in a sauna or steam room
  • Intentionally submerging your iPhone in water
  • Operating your iPhone outside the suggested temperature ranges or in extremely humid conditions
  • Dropping your iPhone or subjecting it to other impacts
  • Disassembling your iPhone, including removing screws

Minimize exposing your iPhone to soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids—for example, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, and solvents. 

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

Oct 7, 2021 11:45 PM in response to Jadeb0i

Based on what you've said, your iPhone's home button probably needs to be replaced. Replacing the home button is actually a fairly simple repair, but Apple has a policy of not working on water damaged phones. With that being said, I still recommend that you go to the Apple store and tell them that your home button isn't working just to see what they'll say. If they refuse to fix it then you can either attempt to fix it yourself, take it to a repair shop that is not affiliated with Apple, or buy a new phone.

iPhone 8 plus water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.