Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID to iPhoneX - can’t access locked notes

I went from using a touch ID to the iPhone X which is face ID. It won't let me open any of my locked notes & resetting the password doesn’t work either. How can I access my locked notes or have I lost them for good? Thanks!

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2021 10:30 AM

Hello ~ Do you remember the old passcode on your notes? If not …you cannot unlock them and resetting the passcode only allows access to your new notes. Unfortunately we can’t help and neither can Apple :(

~Katana-San~

2 replies

Oct 2, 2021 10:30 AM in response to Hol5678

You have to enter the ACTUAL Password you used when you password locked the notes. Face ID has never been a replacement for Passcodes/Passwords. It is a convenience which works in tandem with Passcodes/Passwords.

If you didn't write this important password down when you created it, nor create a password hint when you were given the opportunity to, the notes will remain locked forever until you enter the right password. There is NO workaround. The password is encrypted directly on the device. Apple can't help you. Only you can get access to the notes with the correct password.

It is really important to note important passcodes and passwords somewhere for future recall. Something as old fashioned and simple as this can save you in the future:

Touch ID to iPhoneX - can’t access locked notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.