Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Closing all open apps at once (iPad)

There is still no way to close all apps at once, right? ( l know about the multi-finger thing )

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2021 3:00 PM

I do not fully agree with your explanation, either.

Background apps are still taking up RAM still being active.

Also, if Background App Refresh is NOT toggle off ( which most average users do NOT know about or how to do this ) apps that get their data from the Internet, will still keep updating this information in the background, definitely and constantly using BOTH CPU AND RAM cycles.

Apple would prefer its iOS/iPadOS user to not constantly quit background running apps, but the reality is that if you have too many app sitting in the background app switcher, they just eat up available RAM and, in most cases, can slow down an iPad with lower amounts of internal RAM.

I have seen this scenario played out here over and over, again .

Quitting apps CAN be better that just leaving them suspended/hanging in the background app switcher, despite what Apple tells us what to do.

Apple isn't always right about things and unless there is enough user outrage, Apple is NOT forthcoming with device recalls when clearly what they designed has a significant flaw.

Look how long Apple took to admit and offer recall repair for the bad keyboards in earlier Mac books/MacBook Pro.

I believe Apple is doing the same thing with more expensive, larger screen iPads, with a still growing minority of devices with intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issues.

This issue has been going on for over 3 years, now, with no real fix or solution from Apple and no “official” acknowledgment from Apple, itself, that this issue even exists!

Hockey puck mice, AntennaGate ( You’re holding the phone wrong. Hold it this way ), ThrottlingGate when Apple was, secretly, throttling iOS device CPU speeds when the batteries would get to a certain percentage in their lifespan.

I take a lot of what Apple tells its users to do, many times, with many grains of salt.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2021 3:00 PM in response to Rudegar

I do not fully agree with your explanation, either.

Background apps are still taking up RAM still being active.

Also, if Background App Refresh is NOT toggle off ( which most average users do NOT know about or how to do this ) apps that get their data from the Internet, will still keep updating this information in the background, definitely and constantly using BOTH CPU AND RAM cycles.

Apple would prefer its iOS/iPadOS user to not constantly quit background running apps, but the reality is that if you have too many app sitting in the background app switcher, they just eat up available RAM and, in most cases, can slow down an iPad with lower amounts of internal RAM.

I have seen this scenario played out here over and over, again .

Quitting apps CAN be better that just leaving them suspended/hanging in the background app switcher, despite what Apple tells us what to do.

Apple isn't always right about things and unless there is enough user outrage, Apple is NOT forthcoming with device recalls when clearly what they designed has a significant flaw.

Look how long Apple took to admit and offer recall repair for the bad keyboards in earlier Mac books/MacBook Pro.

I believe Apple is doing the same thing with more expensive, larger screen iPads, with a still growing minority of devices with intermittent, unresponsive touch screen issues.

This issue has been going on for over 3 years, now, with no real fix or solution from Apple and no “official” acknowledgment from Apple, itself, that this issue even exists!

Hockey puck mice, AntennaGate ( You’re holding the phone wrong. Hold it this way ), ThrottlingGate when Apple was, secretly, throttling iOS device CPU speeds when the batteries would get to a certain percentage in their lifespan.

I take a lot of what Apple tells its users to do, many times, with many grains of salt.

Oct 3, 2021 2:35 AM in response to InterestedBathrobe

if you restart it

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

they will be closed

since apps not being used are suspected so not running closing them down would require the operating system to reload their suspended data to close it down for real which would use more power than leaving them suspended, apple likely did not include a such feature because it would make users act against their own best interest in terms of battery life.

Oct 3, 2021 2:59 AM in response to InterestedBathrobe

Restarting your iPad will not close open tabs in Safari.

Instead, if you wish to close all currently open tabs in a running Safari instance, touch-and-hold (i.e., a long touch) the New Tabs icon (four squares) at top-right of the Safari window; an Action Menu will appear.

Tap the option entitled Close All n Tabs - highlighted in red text; “n” indicates the number of tabs that are currently open. All your open tabs will close.

Oct 3, 2021 8:04 AM in response to helma145

Hello ~ I myself find that offering the OP as many helpful options as possible tends to be the best way to proceed …so they may find the option that works best and learn even more by reading all info put forward. I also find that posting in italics to a senior poster is not helpful as well. And in the meantime *MichelPM* has educated me yet again :)

~Katana-San~

Oct 10, 2021 10:09 AM in response to Rudegar

Honestly I do this ALL the time on my Android phone (not a high spec one) and there are no issues with it - it does NOT take considerable time and processor cycles to do it ..it shuts stuff down in about 1 second even with 20+ apps loaded on Android. Your argument holds no water based on my experience - buy an Android device and see for yourself...

Closing all open apps at once (iPad)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.