Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit automation rules not triggering on garage door

I have automation rules to turn on and off garage/driveway lights when the garage roll-up door opens/closes, but they are not working. It looks like the home hub knows the door state changes but is not executing the automation.

Details:

• The Insignia garage door sensor battery and pairing are fine (checked by pressing button on the sensor).
  • My garage door accessory is successfully added in the Home app. My iPhone and Mac display the correct state of the garage door (Closed, Opening, Open, Closing). Works the same regardless of whether the door is controlled in the Home app or the garage door wall button or remote.
  • I see correct Home notifications when the garage door is opened and closed.
  • In the Home app, the failing automations are based on Event "An Accessory is Controlled" "Garage Door"...
  • The automations are definitely enabled.
  • When I "Test This Automation," the lights correctly turn on and off.
  • The same Lutron garage/driveway lights are successfully turned on/off by other automations based on Event "A Sensor Detects Something" (Eve Door and Motion sensors).
  • My home hub is an Apple TV 4K (2021) and I updated it to tvOS 15 but that did not help.
  • I deleted and re-created the automation rules, but they still don’t work.

Any suggestions?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 1:26 PM

I added a HomePod mini as a backup home hub and that seems to have fixed my issue with automation rules triggered on the garage door. It seems like it just wasn't working when the Apple TV 4K was the sole home hub.

Similar questions

1 reply

HomeKit automation rules not triggering on garage door

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.