Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grrr ... Dropping 29.97 fps onto a 24 fps project timeline ... and NOT wanting the the timeline to change frame rates?

Grrr. So I have a 24 fps project timeline. I'm dropping a 29.97 fps clip onto that timeline ... and the timeline is converting to 29.97 fps.

I'm confused. Always in the past when I dropped any frame rate onto a timeline I've chosen to be 24 fps, the clip coming onto that timeline has to convert to the 24 fps. Or I just have to do a Rate Conform.

Now the clip is changing the frame rate of the timeline. I'm going to go make myself an ice cream cone while I wait for someone to explain this to me...

Ben

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 6:13 PM

If you set up a project with Automatic Settings, it takes the properties of the first clip added to the storyline to create the project parameters.

From the Custom Project dialog, you can switch to Automatic Settings from the button on the lower left corner.

From the auto settings — you are warned ;)

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 6:13 PM in response to Ben Low

If you set up a project with Automatic Settings, it takes the properties of the first clip added to the storyline to create the project parameters.

From the Custom Project dialog, you can switch to Automatic Settings from the button on the lower left corner.

From the auto settings — you are warned ;)

Oct 3, 2021 8:19 PM in response to fox_m

Duh. Thank you fox_m.

Curious thing ... I've been creating projects forever, and bopping all kinds of frame rates etc. onto the timeline, and this hasn't come up before. I wonder if FCPX has changed something. I can see that, up until today, whenever I was creating a project it was already set up with the custom settings box. In fact, it's only today I've ever seen the automatic settings box.

Thank you most kindly for your help, very much appreciated, Ben

Oct 4, 2021 6:35 AM in response to Alchroma

Yeah, chuckle. I know Al. But in my 'duh' defence, I never ever use it. And thus the pop-up when I create a project has always had the custom setup in view. And somehow it got changed ... and for half an hour I'm trying to figure out why everything keeps defaulting. And then fox_m, bless his or her soul, reminded me of the auto vs. custom selection.

A grand day to you Al ...

Ben

Grrr ... Dropping 29.97 fps onto a 24 fps project timeline ... and NOT wanting the the timeline to change frame rates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.