Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text notifications not lighting up iPhone 13 locked screen

I've just got the new iPhone 13, updated it to the most recent iOS (iOS 15.0.1). In the past, usually the notifications light up the phone and makes a sound when I get them whenever my phone is locked. However, for some reason, whenever I get a new text, my phone doesn't light up anymore or make any sound. The notification just quietly shows up on the lock screen when I raise it to wake...and it's like that for every kind of app that should have notifications on and have the lock screen option switched on. I'm not entirely sure what to do anymore, I've double checked each and every app's notification setting, and it's still not working properly. I even reset the settings on my phone, and it's still not working.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 12:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2021 4:45 AM

If your iPhone pairs to an Apple Watch, by design your paired iPhone does not chime when a new text arrives. Instead, Apple routes your alerts to your Apple Watch, especially when the iPhone is locked.

As of now, there is no option to play a sound alert on BOTH your Apple Watch and your iPhone at the same time. It’s one or the other, based on the locked status of your phone.

The rule of thumb is if your phone is unlocked, notifications go to the iPhone. If your phone is locked, notifications go to your watch.

1. If you turn off Wrist Detection (on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode – turn off Wrist Detection), then all notifications and the notification sound will be delivered to both devices.
  2. When you dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they’re also dismissed from your iPhone. You receive notifications on whichever device you’re using, not both devices at the same time.

Note: If you turn off Wrist Detection, you will then not be able to benefit from features including Apple Pay, earning Stand credit and a single unlock after placing your Apple Watch on your wrist.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2021 4:45 AM in response to iPhone_User56

If your iPhone pairs to an Apple Watch, by design your paired iPhone does not chime when a new text arrives. Instead, Apple routes your alerts to your Apple Watch, especially when the iPhone is locked.

As of now, there is no option to play a sound alert on BOTH your Apple Watch and your iPhone at the same time. It’s one or the other, based on the locked status of your phone.

The rule of thumb is if your phone is unlocked, notifications go to the iPhone. If your phone is locked, notifications go to your watch.

1. If you turn off Wrist Detection (on your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode – turn off Wrist Detection), then all notifications and the notification sound will be delivered to both devices.
  2. When you dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they’re also dismissed from your iPhone. You receive notifications on whichever device you’re using, not both devices at the same time.

Note: If you turn off Wrist Detection, you will then not be able to benefit from features including Apple Pay, earning Stand credit and a single unlock after placing your Apple Watch on your wrist.

Oct 4, 2021 12:34 AM in response to riana23

Change notification settings on iPhone

1. Go to Settings > Notifications.
  2. To schedule a notifications summary, tap Scheduled Summary, then turn on Scheduled Summary. ... 
  3. To choose when you want most notification previews to appear, tap Show Previews, select an option—Always, When Unlocked, or Never—then tap.

More items...

Change notification settings on iPhone - Apple Support

Text notifications not lighting up iPhone 13 locked screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.