Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t add my outlook account in my iPad. Whenever I try to add the account I get the message “unable to verify account” immediately

Can’t add a new outlook account in my iPad

iPad Air 3 WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 7:44 AM

Are you attempting to install the Outlook App - or are you adding your Outlook email account to the native Mail App?

In common with many other Mail providers, Microsoft Outlook and Hotmail accounts now use App Specific Passwords to access IMAP or POP3 mailboxes.

The Mail App on each of your devices, such as your iPad, requires a unique password to be generated from within the Microsoft account. To do so, you’ll need to sign-in to your Microsoft account from a we-browser. Note that the system generated App Specific password will intentionally differ from your Microsoft account password - and can only be used to access your Microsoft mail.

More information about Microsoft’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/using-app-passwords-with-apps-that-don-t-support-two-step-verification-5896ed9b-4263-e681-128a-a6f2979a7944

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2021 7:44 AM in response to ioannisL

Are you attempting to install the Outlook App - or are you adding your Outlook email account to the native Mail App?

In common with many other Mail providers, Microsoft Outlook and Hotmail accounts now use App Specific Passwords to access IMAP or POP3 mailboxes.

The Mail App on each of your devices, such as your iPad, requires a unique password to be generated from within the Microsoft account. To do so, you’ll need to sign-in to your Microsoft account from a we-browser. Note that the system generated App Specific password will intentionally differ from your Microsoft account password - and can only be used to access your Microsoft mail.

More information about Microsoft’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/using-app-passwords-with-apps-that-don-t-support-two-step-verification-5896ed9b-4263-e681-128a-a6f2979a7944

I can’t add my outlook account in my iPad. Whenever I try to add the account I get the message “unable to verify account” immediately

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.