Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted iTunes playlist keeps reappearing–how to delete it?

Currently, I have an iTunes playlist that continues to reappear in iTunes no matter what I do. If I delete it through iTunes, it'll reappear whenever I open the application. As well, if I edit any details about it (such as the description, name, or its rules, as it's a smart playlist) those changes in settings will not save by the time I reopen iTunes. Every time I close and open up iTunes, the playlist exists even if it was deleted, and stays with the same name, description, icon, rules, etc. it always has (for reference–the playlist is named "top rated" in lowercase and is currently set to include all songs in my library with 4 or more stars).

It's worth mentioning as well that deleting the playlist from my iPod Touch also doesn't solve the issue. If I delete it from there and iTunes, it'll stay deleted from both... of course, until I reopen iTunes, where the playlist will then reappear on the iTunes app and then be re-synced onto my iPod.

Is there a way to keep this playlist deleted, or at least allow me to edit it with those edits remaining? Is there some setting or file I can edit myself to fix the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Oct 4, 2021 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 1:55 PM

Hi there SuddenlyWolf,

From what we can tell, a playlist that you delete from iTunes is reappearing. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some guidance.

"If you access your iTunes library on multiple devices, songs you delete from your library are still available from iCloud, so you can play or download them any time.

If you can’t remove a song, make sure you didn’t select a song in a Smart Playlist with “Live updating” turned on." Learn more here:

Delete songs and other items in iTunes on PC

With that said, are you deleting the playlist from your computer or your library? Have a look at the 'Delete a playlist' section here:

Create, edit, and delete playlists in iTunes on PC

Let us know what you find.

Cheers.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 1:55 PM in response to SuddenlyWolf

Hi there SuddenlyWolf,

From what we can tell, a playlist that you delete from iTunes is reappearing. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities, and we can provide some guidance.

"If you access your iTunes library on multiple devices, songs you delete from your library are still available from iCloud, so you can play or download them any time.

If you can’t remove a song, make sure you didn’t select a song in a Smart Playlist with “Live updating” turned on." Learn more here:

Delete songs and other items in iTunes on PC

With that said, are you deleting the playlist from your computer or your library? Have a look at the 'Delete a playlist' section here:

Create, edit, and delete playlists in iTunes on PC

Let us know what you find.

Cheers.

Deleted iTunes playlist keeps reappearing–how to delete it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.