Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPad 10 have Face ID capability

Does the iPad 10 have face recognition?

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 9:14 AM

Too much multi-tasking with bug analysis - and trying to do too many things at once.

You are quite correct in that the iPad Air3 and Air4 do not use FaceID. These models along with the mini6 incorporate their TouchID sensor in the Top (Sleep/Wake) button as previously outlined. I note that a word was also dropped (an issue that I’m also looking at) when typing the original content - this error being subsequently copied into an incorrect correction.

So as to eliminate any confusion for the OP that I may have inadvertently caused, I’ll provide corrected and enhanced copy here - which, I hope, your own critical eye will QA without further issue.

@Tara1Tabu2

There isn’t an iPad10. However, there are models of iPad that have 10.2”, 10.5” and 10.9” screens.

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

FaceID is an exclusive feature of the 2020/2021 models of iPad Pro. The 2020/2021 models of iPad Air (i.e., Air3 and Air4) and the 2021 iPad mini (the mini6) do not have a physical Home Button within which to accommodate a TouchID sensor; these models - instead incorporate a TouchID sensor within their Top (Sleep/Wake) button.

All other recent models of iPad use TouchID - with the sensor being incorporated within the main Home Button on the front-face of the iPad.

You can compare specifications of all models of iPad here:

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 9:14 AM in response to AlexDaMan

Too much multi-tasking with bug analysis - and trying to do too many things at once.

You are quite correct in that the iPad Air3 and Air4 do not use FaceID. These models along with the mini6 incorporate their TouchID sensor in the Top (Sleep/Wake) button as previously outlined. I note that a word was also dropped (an issue that I’m also looking at) when typing the original content - this error being subsequently copied into an incorrect correction.

So as to eliminate any confusion for the OP that I may have inadvertently caused, I’ll provide corrected and enhanced copy here - which, I hope, your own critical eye will QA without further issue.

@Tara1Tabu2

There isn’t an iPad10. However, there are models of iPad that have 10.2”, 10.5” and 10.9” screens.

FaceID is an exclusive feature of the 2020/2021 models of iPad Pro. The 2020/2021 models of iPad Air (i.e., Air3 and Air4) and the 2021 iPad mini (the mini6) do not have a physical Home Button within which to accommodate a TouchID sensor; these models - instead incorporate a TouchID sensor within their Top (Sleep/Wake) button.

All other recent models of iPad use TouchID - with the sensor being incorporated within the main Home Button on the front-face of the iPad.

You can compare specifications of all models of iPad here:

https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare

Oct 5, 2021 8:07 AM in response to Tara1Tabu2

For Face ID, you would need an iPad Pro. The iPad, iPad mini, and iPad Air all still use Touch ID.

I have a mini 5th gen, and use Touch ID all the time. I find it more convenient.

the current iPads are,

iPad (9th gen)

iPad Mini (6th gen)

iPad Air (4th gen)

ipad pro (5th gen)

If you want Face ID, you have to get the pro.

if you want to look in to the iPads, you can go here: https://www.apple.com/ipad/

Oct 5, 2021 8:08 AM in response to Tara1Tabu2

Their isn’t an iPad10.

FaceID is a feature of the 2020/2021 models of iPad Pro and the 2020 iPad Air. The 2021 models of iPad and iPad mini lack a physical Home Button - and incorporate a TouchID sensor within their Top (Sleep/Wake) button.

Other recent models of iPad use TouchID - with the sensor being incorporated within the main Home Button on the front-face of the iPad.

Oct 5, 2021 8:36 AM in response to AlexDaMan

Well caught - a slip of the finger.

The text (corrected) should read:

FaceID is a feature of the 2020/2021 models of iPad Pro and the 2021 iPad Air. The 2021 models of iPad and iPad mini lack a physical Home Button - and incorporate a TouchID sensor within their Top (Sleep/Wake) button.

Other recent models of iPad use TouchID - with the sensor being incorporated within the main Home Button on the front-face of the iPad.

Does iPad 10 have Face ID capability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.