Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Opticom a scam, ransonware, or scareware?

Received a notice to unfreeze my Ipad by calling Apple at a number and it was done for $49.99 charged to my credit card. It came back as Opticom. What is this scam and what type is it? Besides having my credit card number, what other damage does it do to my Ipad and what should I do?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 8:49 AM

2 replies

Oct 5, 2021 9:30 AM in response to dlmcpa

Most definitely a phishing scam.

I presume this message manifests as a pop-up or full-screen browser window. If so, simple close the browser window/tab; do not reply or interact with the message. If the message arrived by email, just delete the email; do not click any embedded links.

Now, let’s concentrate on what you can do to either prevent or reduce likelihood of recurrence…

Firstly, this is support page is recommended reading:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Browser-based attacks can largely be mitigated by installing a good Content and Ad-blocking product. One of the very best and most respected within the Apple App Store - designed for iPad, iPhone and Mac - is 1Blocker for Safari.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/1blocker-for-safari/id1365531024

1Blocker is highly configurable - and crucially does not rely upon an external proxy-service of dubious provenance. All processing takes place on your device - and contrary to expectations, Safari will run faster and more efficiently. 

Unwanted content is not simply filtered after download (a technique used by basic/inferior products), but instead undesirable embedded content blocked form download. A further benefit on metered services, such as cellular connections where you data may be capped or chargeable, this not only improves speed but also saves you money.

A further measure to improve protection is to use a security-focussed Recursive DNS Service in preference to automatic DNS settings. This can either be set on a per-device basis in Settings, or can be set-up on your home Router. I strongly recommend using one of the following services - for which IPv4 and IPv6 server addresses are listed:

Quad9 (recommended)

2620:fe::fe

2620:fe::9

OpenDNS

2620:0:ccc::2

2620:0:ccd::2

Cloudflare+APNIC

2606:4700:4700::1111

2606:4700:4700::1001

Use of the above DNS services will help to shield you from “known bad” websites and URLs - and when used alongside 1Blocker, or other Content Blocker provides defense in depth.

There are advanced techniques to further “harden” iOS/iPadOS, but these are perhaps beyond the immediate skills of novice users.

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful. 

Is Opticom a scam, ransonware, or scareware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.