Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update Safari?

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) currently running on OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6 I purchased for college and have seldom used since then.

I'm noticing a few websites (Ex: LinkedIn) won't work with my Safari, but can't seem to be able to update it to anything newer. From what I have read, it's probably because this is a relatively old laptop. I can't seem to update my OS to see if I can get a newer version of Safari either.

Just wanted to reach out to the community to verify if there is actually any way I can resolve this issue or if I am out of luck.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 11:55 AM

Hello. Your MacBook Pro is compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. Catalina is still supported by Apple and is compatible with the latest version of Safari, Safari 15. In this case, your best option is to update your Mac.

You can do this by clicking this link on your Mac to open the App Store and download macOS Catalina. Once Catalina downloads, you can run the installer and upgrade. As always, please be sure to make a backup before upgrading.

Once your Mac is upgraded with Catalina installed, you can use the latest version of Safari and websites should work as expected.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2021 11:55 AM in response to q456

Hello. Your MacBook Pro is compatible with macOS 10.15 Catalina. Catalina is still supported by Apple and is compatible with the latest version of Safari, Safari 15. In this case, your best option is to update your Mac.

You can do this by clicking this link on your Mac to open the App Store and download macOS Catalina. Once Catalina downloads, you can run the installer and upgrade. As always, please be sure to make a backup before upgrading.

Once your Mac is upgraded with Catalina installed, you can use the latest version of Safari and websites should work as expected.

Can I update Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.