Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Update Safari

Hello,

I have 2011 macbook air running El Capitan 10.11.6. and Safari 11.1.2.

App Store says everything is up to date but I'm having issues with Safari and websites saying its not up to date and the websites not working properly and I end up having to use chrome.

I just tried downloading Big Sur but of course my computer can't run it.

Is there a way for me to update Safari to the current version? I can't find any other method than the app store.

Or is there a way to upgrade to an OS between Capitan and Big Sur?

Thank you for any help.

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 8:08 PM

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and click on High Sierra.

(201372)

3 replies

Jul 25, 2021 11:41 AM in response to Niel

Thank you, Sorry for the delayed response.

I have downloaded High Sierra but not yet installed it.

The issue I'm having nowise that I can't back up with Time Machine. I've tried repair the drive I use for updates and then I tried a new drive that's 4x larger than my computer drive. I've formatted it several times using drive utility. Time Machine begins and gets to about 9-12 Gb of the back up but then quits and says there was an error.

I'm not too concerned about a loss of data since the majority of my data was backed up previously. My biggest concern are saved passwords. Is there a way to back up key chain independently? Or should I just install high Sierra and hope for the best?

Obviously it's not a huge loss, I'd just like to avoid resetting all the passwords I can't remember.

Thank you for all your help.

Jul 26, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Russ72

I just posted to someone else who was having Time Machine problems. I see number of Time Machine problems on this forum. Mostly when it won't clear out old entries to make way for new backups. So far, I have seen no solution to this. I won't personally use Time Machine. Why not rely one of the other apps out there that do backup. I have heard of no problems with them so far.

As for Safari, as you know, it is installed as part of the operating system. Sometimes, even upgrading it will not resolve a problem with some sites. This is not an unusual situation. The reason is that web site engineers write their software to work with specific browsers and specific versions of them. As you have found out, the alternative is to use another browser for those sites. I regularly use both Safari and Thunderbird, which I can recommend.

Can't Update Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.