Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps audio

In iOS 14 while using maps and having my phone plugged in while in the car I could choose what audio output I wanted through maps. Ie the cable or Bluetooth. Now in iOS 15 maps I cannot figure out how to switch audio outputs. Can you tell me how ?

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 5, 2021 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 12:33 PM

Hello, amiel147. Thank you for posting your question to the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you are looking for the best way to manage the audio output of your device when you are getting directions from the Maps app. We would be happy to go over the available options with you. 

To get started on this, we would like to provide you with a helpful Apple Support article. This article explains how you can access and customize the Control Center on your device: 

Access Control Center on your iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

With the Control Center open, you should be able to choose the audio output for your device towards the top right. 

You may also find this second article help. This article explains which features you can access when Maps is following a route: 

Things you can do while following a route in Maps on iPhone - Apple Support

We hope that this information allows you to set up and use Maps as you would like. Please let us know if you have any other questions about these features. 

Have a great day! 

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2021 12:33 PM in response to amiel147

Hello, amiel147. Thank you for posting your question to the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you are looking for the best way to manage the audio output of your device when you are getting directions from the Maps app. We would be happy to go over the available options with you. 

To get started on this, we would like to provide you with a helpful Apple Support article. This article explains how you can access and customize the Control Center on your device: 

Access Control Center on your iPhone and iPod touch - Apple Support

With the Control Center open, you should be able to choose the audio output for your device towards the top right. 

You may also find this second article help. This article explains which features you can access when Maps is following a route: 

Things you can do while following a route in Maps on iPhone - Apple Support

We hope that this information allows you to set up and use Maps as you would like. Please let us know if you have any other questions about these features. 

Have a great day! 

Jan 16, 2022 1:04 PM in response to G_A_C

Yes - this is awkward and even dangerous after you have already selected a route and started driving. To go to Control Centre and change output there is tedious and a step backwards - before you could pull down (or swipe up - I can't remember quite) and then choose the output device simply while enroute

Jan 16, 2022 3:00 PM in response to dot2222

will do - I have hearing aids with Bluetooth and need the direction prompts to be directed to my aids rather than the car Bluetooth.

I can't disable Bluetooth as Bluetooth is becoming very important to advanced/modern hearing aids and their functionality.

I still need the iPhone to connect to the car system to play music or for other reasons.

The older Maps versions allowed access to redirect the audio much more easily.

Maps audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.