Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display cannot open more than 45 degrees

My MacBook Pro 2017 is having a strange behaviour. At the bottom of the screen there are 8 brighter areas. when I open the display. Like you would see in a theatre with lamps along the edge of the stage. And if I open et more that 45 degrees the light dims and when it reached 60 degrees the screen goes totally black.

I have lived with the brighter areas for some time, but now the computer is unusable because I cannot open it completely. It works well with an external monitor though, but i cannot take it with me and use anywhere else.

:-(

Any sugegstions?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 7:38 AM

Hello kareng12

before I wrote here yesterday, I have restated in safe mode, I have reset NV RAM and SMC, I have run disk utility and I have erased the SSD and reinstalled macOS. It has made no changes what so ever to the screen problem.

I have also googled the issue, and I find there is something called Backlight Issue - and yes, if I use the flashligt in my iPhone, I can see what sould be viewable on the display - so it is there, it's just very very very dark. I also found,. that there is something people call Stagelight Issue that perfectly descibes the 8 brigter areas I have in the bottom of the screen. There's even a picture of it. Here: https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/11979ad3-ac81-43d6-a1c3-48e46401bdf1

So I'm not the first to experience this "issue" - on the contrary,. it seems there are thousands if you ggoogle the issue. Om discussions.apple.com, on reddit and numerous other sites.

Apparently it's a display issue with a defective cable (bad design or engineering). Or a cable that become defective way before the expected end of life of a fairly expensive computer. And the cable can not be repaired or replaced because of the design, you have to have the complete display replaced.

And Apple even have a program for this "backlight issue".

Great ... I thought

So yes, I called Apple Support and talked to a guy who asked me if I had tried to restart the computer ... errrr .. yes, actualli I have restarted and I have reset and I have and I have ... and then he said he suspected it was the backlight issue, and I agreed with him after my fairly extensive research on different sites. My compouter acts exactly as described there.

But he was a careful guy and wanted a last check and yes, i turned on the flask light on my iPhone and pointed to the area of the bottom of the screen and all the icons are clearly visible.

Aha, he said, then it is the backlight issue. We have had a very small number of displays that does not live up to our standards, and we will have the display replaced. Can I have your serial number.

And I gave it to him. And lo and behold .. suddenly it was not the backlight issue! Because my Mac is from 2017 and all 2017 machines are perfect. No issues in any of those. "We don't have a program for that", he said.

And I argued ... you have just diagnosed it to be the backlight issue, and now it isn't? Yes, we don't have a program for that.

Hmm, but, you just told me it was a defective display with a backlight issue, so how can it not be?

Our program only covers 2016 models, but you can have it fixed at a workshop, I can send you alist of nearby authorized Apple repair centers.

I know I have have it repaired at a shop, it's not so unusual. I know I can, like I can have my car fixed and my bike and stuff. But I did not make this happen. It is a defective display ... you just told me.

I don't think this conversation is bringing os any further, he said, and hung up.

Sad but true

My computer is too new for Apple to care. And I can either throw it in the bin or pay half the price of a new computer to have it fixed. After 3 and a half year.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 7:38 AM in response to KMB_12

Hello kareng12

before I wrote here yesterday, I have restated in safe mode, I have reset NV RAM and SMC, I have run disk utility and I have erased the SSD and reinstalled macOS. It has made no changes what so ever to the screen problem.

I have also googled the issue, and I find there is something called Backlight Issue - and yes, if I use the flashligt in my iPhone, I can see what sould be viewable on the display - so it is there, it's just very very very dark. I also found,. that there is something people call Stagelight Issue that perfectly descibes the 8 brigter areas I have in the bottom of the screen. There's even a picture of it. Here: https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/11979ad3-ac81-43d6-a1c3-48e46401bdf1

So I'm not the first to experience this "issue" - on the contrary,. it seems there are thousands if you ggoogle the issue. Om discussions.apple.com, on reddit and numerous other sites.

Apparently it's a display issue with a defective cable (bad design or engineering). Or a cable that become defective way before the expected end of life of a fairly expensive computer. And the cable can not be repaired or replaced because of the design, you have to have the complete display replaced.

And Apple even have a program for this "backlight issue".

Great ... I thought

So yes, I called Apple Support and talked to a guy who asked me if I had tried to restart the computer ... errrr .. yes, actualli I have restarted and I have reset and I have and I have ... and then he said he suspected it was the backlight issue, and I agreed with him after my fairly extensive research on different sites. My compouter acts exactly as described there.

But he was a careful guy and wanted a last check and yes, i turned on the flask light on my iPhone and pointed to the area of the bottom of the screen and all the icons are clearly visible.

Aha, he said, then it is the backlight issue. We have had a very small number of displays that does not live up to our standards, and we will have the display replaced. Can I have your serial number.

And I gave it to him. And lo and behold .. suddenly it was not the backlight issue! Because my Mac is from 2017 and all 2017 machines are perfect. No issues in any of those. "We don't have a program for that", he said.

And I argued ... you have just diagnosed it to be the backlight issue, and now it isn't? Yes, we don't have a program for that.

Hmm, but, you just told me it was a defective display with a backlight issue, so how can it not be?

Our program only covers 2016 models, but you can have it fixed at a workshop, I can send you alist of nearby authorized Apple repair centers.

I know I have have it repaired at a shop, it's not so unusual. I know I can, like I can have my car fixed and my bike and stuff. But I did not make this happen. It is a defective display ... you just told me.

I don't think this conversation is bringing os any further, he said, and hung up.

Sad but true

My computer is too new for Apple to care. And I can either throw it in the bin or pay half the price of a new computer to have it fixed. After 3 and a half year.

Oct 7, 2021 6:58 AM in response to Zorkzeres

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities Zorkzeres,

We see that you're having an issue with your MacBook Pro. We certainly understand your concern and wanting to get this issue resolved.

We'd like to have you take a look at the article below and start your Mac in safe mode and test to see if the issue remains.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue remains in safe mode, you'll want to reach out to Apple Support.

Get Support

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Oct 7, 2021 7:12 AM in response to Zorkzeres

Zorkzeres wrote:

My MacBook Pro 2017 is having a strange behaviour. At the bottom of the screen there are 8 brighter areas. when I open the display. Like you would see in a theatre with lamps along the edge of the stage. And if I open et more that 45 degrees the light dims and when it reached 60 degrees the screen goes totally black.
I have lived with the brighter areas for some time, but now the computer is unusable because I cannot open it completely. It works well with an external monitor though, but i cannot take it with me and use anywhere else.
:-(
Any sugegstions?

You have a hardware issue—display assembly/projector cable take it in for repair.

See if you qualify: Service Program

https://www.apple.com/support/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service/

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"—

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Outside the USA

https://locate.apple.com/country

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209095

Display cannot open more than 45 degrees

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.