Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a @mac.com Apple ID. How can I sign is using @icloud.com?

Currently my Apple ID is ***@mac.com When I try to sign in to iCloud using any address other than the @mac.com, I get error saying password doesn't match. I thought they were all the same??? Someone is using my @iCloud address at Walmart and I don't know what I need to do to protect myself. Is it possible for someone else to create an Apple ID using my @icloud.com address? If I change my password for the @mac.com address, will that offer any protection? If I change my Apple ID to ***@icloud.com will I still receive emails address to ***@mac.com and ***@me.com?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 9:45 AM

Thank you for getting back to us, Susie.

How your Apple ID was set up, and when, determines what addresses you are able to sign in with. Take a look at the below link for additional information.

About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses

If you have additional questions, please reach out to Apple Support directly.

Contact Apple Support

Have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 9:45 AM in response to Susie Bridges

Thank you for getting back to us, Susie.

How your Apple ID was set up, and when, determines what addresses you are able to sign in with. Take a look at the below link for additional information.

About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses

If you have additional questions, please reach out to Apple Support directly.

Contact Apple Support

Have a great day!

Oct 7, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Susie Bridges

Hi Susie,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you may have received an email that is advising you of a login attempt, correct? If so, we'd love to help! If you have registered an iCloud email with your specific email address and it is associated to your Apple ID, we recommend following the steps below.

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised

It is possible that if you received the notification by email, it may not be legitimate. The below link will help you to identify if it is a spam or phishing email.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

Please let us know how it goes. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Oct 7, 2021 8:44 AM in response to mario49

No, I am really asking why it matters which of my ###@mac.com, ###@me.com or ###@icloud.com I use to sign in to iCloud?

If I try to sign in using anything other than the mac.com address I get error saying password doesn't match. Is there a way to "merge" those addresses? I don't want to delete any of them since various people have me in their address books with whatever version of my mac email address I was using at the time of our first correspondence. (I have been a Mac user a LONG time.... )

I have not received any notification from Apple - I just keep getting emails addressed to my @icloud.com address from Walmart about purchases I have made. So someone is using ###@icloud.com as their email address when using Walmart. I just want to make sure they haven't actually created an AppleID using that address....

I have a @mac.com Apple ID. How can I sign is using @icloud.com?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.