Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Safari can't pass reCAPTCHA/"I'm not a Robot"

Using the Safari 14.1.2 browser: whenever I have to click a "I'm not a Robot" reCAPTCHA to access a webpage, for the past few weeks always get the reCAPTCHA buffering/constantly spinning wheel and can't pass the reCAPTCHA. This doesn't happen if I log into the same pages with Chrome or Firefox browsers.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 2:09 PM

agd21,

Thanks for testing that out. As it worked fine in the other account, that indicates the issue is related to settings/files in the standard account.

Some additional steps can help here: If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

If it persists, you can perform a reinstall of macOS without erasing the drive. While it doesn't erase the drive when following the appropriate steps, it's still recommended to have a backup of the data first. Steps can be found here, if needed: How to reinstall macOS

How to back up your Mac

Cheers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 2:09 PM in response to agd21

agd21,

Thanks for testing that out. As it worked fine in the other account, that indicates the issue is related to settings/files in the standard account.

Some additional steps can help here: If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected

If it persists, you can perform a reinstall of macOS without erasing the drive. While it doesn't erase the drive when following the appropriate steps, it's still recommended to have a backup of the data first. Steps can be found here, if needed: How to reinstall macOS

How to back up your Mac

Cheers.

Oct 8, 2021 5:31 AM in response to Eric_G1

Thank you for responding.

There is one extension showing, but it has been turned off for over a month now.

I did upgrade to Safari 15 - the issue with reCAPTCHAs buffering/constantly spinning wheel has not changed with Safari.

The reCAPTCHAs continue to work as they should in Chrome and Firefox.

Oct 7, 2021 10:17 AM in response to agd21

Hello agd21,

We see you're having issues with reCAPTCHAs within Safari on your Mac, and we'd be happy to see if we can help get that resolved.

As it's not happening in other browsers, you can try checking for things like extensions that could be interfering. Look for those in the Safari menu > Preferences > Extensions.

You may also wish to try upgrading to the newer version of Safari, which is Safari 15: Update or reinstall Safari for your computer

Take care.

Oct 8, 2021 2:25 PM in response to agd21

agd21,

Thanks for taking the time to upgrade Safari and test that out.

Have you also had a chance to try testing in a newly created Admin user account on the Mac? This would help to see if it's a system-wide issue on the Mac, or if it's user-specific. If needed, this page can help set that up: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

This particular step can also help to skip steps such as clearing website data out, which would require logging into all websites again and such.

Cheers.

Oct 9, 2021 5:38 PM in response to Eric_G1

Eric_G1

Following the above link you sent re If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn’t working as expected, I did Test with a private window and found the reCAPTCHAs worked properly in a private window. In Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data I removed the website data there for these websites and the reCAPTCHAs now work as they should.

Thank you so much.

macOS Safari can't pass reCAPTCHA/"I'm not a Robot"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.