Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health App walking distance wildly underreported

I've seen people complaining that the walking and running distance recorded by the Health app may be 10-15% off. I wish my iPhone was that accurate!

I started with an iPhone 6. If I walked a hiking trail of 4km, the Health app would typically record about 1.5km. It bears no resemblance to reality. The step counter appears reasonable, but the distance is always far short of what I know I have walked. I gave up using the health app for distances.

Now I've just got an iPhone 13. It's step count seems somewhere near the ballpark, maybe a bit short. It says I have a stride of 42cm. I walked a route of about 3.6km, and it reported less than 1km!!

Two different iPhones with different hardware, iOS versions and software versions, but the same problem. How do I fix it?

Posted on Oct 6, 2021 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 4:31 PM

Hey there, Greymere.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. It’s understandable that you’d want your steps to record accurately. 

For help with this issue, please Contact Apple Support.

Best wishes. 

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 8, 2021 4:46 PM in response to Eric--F

Contacted Apple Support as suggested. They ran through the settings with me, and I eventually discovered I had missed a digit when entering my height way back when setting up my iPhone 6. Apparently it though I was just over 2' tall!

Corrected, and tested it on a walk today, and it was almost spot on!

If you're having problems with accuracy, check your body measurements.

Health App walking distance wildly underreported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.