Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Library (5% complete)

I have just upgraded from El Captain to High Sierra on my late 2013 MacBook Pro. My photo library is 225 Gb and stored on an external 1Tb Seagate drive. Never had a problem with it.

I launched Photos about three hours ago and the App appears to be stuck on the library update page. I can use the demo but nothing else.

I use iCloud for sharing only with 274 photos and 51 videos in the cloud, so not that much. I have 130 Gb available in iCloud.

In Finder, the Photos Library on the external drive shows as being updated 26 minutes ago. The file size has changed slightly from a back-up I took before commencing. 224.7 to 225.2

• Is this normal for updating the OS?
  • Will it work?
  • How many hours/days will I need to wait? I have power settings set to not close the Mac down when on the charger.
  • Does it matter if the screen saver starts?
  • Does it make it easier if I free disk space on the MacBook. Currently I have free space of 146.41 GB (83.88 GB purgeable) out of 500.07 Gb.

Any other advice at this stage?

Thanks

Paul

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 7:00 PM

Problem solved. I forced the Photos App closed and reopened it. The Updating Library task relaunched and took about 30 minutes. The album is now opening just fine and I am looking forward to using the new tools.

Thanks for participating in the Community.

Paul

Similar questions

6 replies

Updating Library (5% complete)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.