Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my LG widescreen looks horizontally stretched with mbp?

After few years, I believe there should be a solution to this horizontal stretched widescreen issue when connected to mbp. I have tried all the 8 different scaled options which still don't fix the problem. Can someone help please? See photos below. The first photo was taken from mbp and the second was taken from LG widescreen monitor.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 1:10 AM

What LG monitor, and how do you have it connected?

Clearly the resolution is being stretched horizontally to match the resolution of the monitor, but that could be in the monitor's settings as well.

You may want to check the monitor's setup menu (typically under Input) for an "aspect ratio" setting, and make sure it is set to "1:1" not "Full Wide."

Note this may cause slight pillar boxing, or black bars on the left and right of the display, but that is because of aspect ratio differences between the MBP display and that of many widescreen monitors.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2021 1:10 AM in response to Anonemousi

What LG monitor, and how do you have it connected?

Clearly the resolution is being stretched horizontally to match the resolution of the monitor, but that could be in the monitor's settings as well.

You may want to check the monitor's setup menu (typically under Input) for an "aspect ratio" setting, and make sure it is set to "1:1" not "Full Wide."

Note this may cause slight pillar boxing, or black bars on the left and right of the display, but that is because of aspect ratio differences between the MBP display and that of many widescreen monitors.

Oct 8, 2021 2:53 AM in response to Anonemousi

"Full wide" is what is stretching your video, it needs to be 1:1.

Unless the MBP's video can output something in that aspect ratio, if you don't want it to be stretched you have to live with the pillarboxing as the standard screen aspect ratio is not the same as the monitor's if the monitor is 16:9.

Have you matched the monitor's specs to what the MBP is specified as being able to output?

Why my LG widescreen looks horizontally stretched with mbp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.