Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail strange behavior

Perhaps 2-3 times a week, Mail randomly moves a message from InBox to another mail box. This happens only after I've read the message. Typically, I discover it's gone when I need to refer back to it. Usually it turns up in the All Mail folder and I can move it back to the InBox. But until I find it, I panic, thinking the message has been deleted. I can find no reason for this. I've checked Rules and I've checked config settings, but can find nothing that would cause this. Fortunately, these messages don't show up in Trash folder, but still, it's seriously annoying. Ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 12:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 9:37 AM

irwin1 wrote:

Perhaps 2-3 times a week, Mail randomly moves a message from InBox to another mail box. This happens only after I've read the message. Typically, I discover it's gone when I need to refer back to it. Usually it turns up in the All Mail folder and I can move it back to the InBox.

But until I find it, I panic, thinking the message has been deleted. I can find no reason for this. I've checked Rules and I've checked config settings, but can find nothing that would cause this. Fortunately, these messages don't show up in Trash folder, but still, it's seriously annoying. Ideas?

You can try— Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

if no resolve the next go to way of sorting issues is to delete the problem account and simply add it back in—

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2021 9:37 AM in response to irwin1

irwin1 wrote:

Perhaps 2-3 times a week, Mail randomly moves a message from InBox to another mail box. This happens only after I've read the message. Typically, I discover it's gone when I need to refer back to it. Usually it turns up in the All Mail folder and I can move it back to the InBox.

But until I find it, I panic, thinking the message has been deleted. I can find no reason for this. I've checked Rules and I've checked config settings, but can find nothing that would cause this. Fortunately, these messages don't show up in Trash folder, but still, it's seriously annoying. Ideas?

You can try— Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

if no resolve the next go to way of sorting issues is to delete the problem account and simply add it back in—

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Mac Mail strange behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.