Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add ease in/out to curves when animating scale?

I am trying to scale some images in final cut and try to add an ease in ease out..

But it doesnt seem possible in the animation editor.

No triangle next to the effect and control click doesnt reveal a scale option.

There is only a "smooth" option for the position.

I found this post from 2011. Did anything change in the last ten years?

"Hi. I've been using ease in/ease out successfully on pans of still images but I can't seem to make it work on any scaling. Am I missing something or is this a job for Motion?"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3194569

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 2:48 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. Are you using vertical video in a horizontal project?

The effect scales the content [to which it is applied] within its frame. Vertical video imposes that aspect. Actually *every* aspect imposes that condition (try letterboxed 2:1 video in a 16:9 project -- same thing, only the video is cropped at the horizontal bars).

If you need to have the vertical video scale to fill a horizontal aspect, make the vertical video clip a Compound Clip (option-g), then apply the Scale All by Clip Length effect to the compound clip. That way, the vertical video is **technically** not scaled at all, but the compound clip will "fool" FCPX into believing that the clip is actually the same aspect as the project settings - ;) - and the video will expand to fill the (horizontal) frame.

HTH

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 2:48 PM in response to PeteHikers

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do. Are you using vertical video in a horizontal project?

The effect scales the content [to which it is applied] within its frame. Vertical video imposes that aspect. Actually *every* aspect imposes that condition (try letterboxed 2:1 video in a 16:9 project -- same thing, only the video is cropped at the horizontal bars).

If you need to have the vertical video scale to fill a horizontal aspect, make the vertical video clip a Compound Clip (option-g), then apply the Scale All by Clip Length effect to the compound clip. That way, the vertical video is **technically** not scaled at all, but the compound clip will "fool" FCPX into believing that the clip is actually the same aspect as the project settings - ;) - and the video will expand to fill the (horizontal) frame.

HTH

Oct 8, 2021 2:29 PM in response to PeteHikers

https://fcpxtemplates.com/downloads

Download Scale All by Clip Length and install as an effect (if you need instructions: https://fcpxtemplates.com/installing-plugins-for-fcpx/).

Parameters:

Use the Curvature to set easing (0% is linear, 100% = ease in/ease out).

There's an OSC that will allow you to set the point at which scaling occurs (centered by default). Set a Start Time and End Time in Percent of Clip Length (this will vary, of course, on how long the clips are - but you can set the playhead and use these sliders to tell when animation starts or ends if you need to be more frame specific).

Set the Start and End % scales.

If you add multiple effects to the same clip (for example — step-wise scaling):

1) use a compound clip and apply this effect at the compound level (you can lose resolution between "steps" if you don't)

2) if you scale *to* larger than 100%, don't expect to be able to scale back down without having the media cropped on the edges that went over the frame boundaries. You can scale *from* larger than 100% down without cropping.

You can set up a "standard" behavior and Save As Effects Preset to be reused without having to set it up every time.

If you don't feel like you can use it, let me know. Whoever downloads it, please let me know.

I'll keep it available for about a day.

Oct 10, 2021 12:10 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks a lot! Thats exactly what I tried to to and with a compound clip it workss.

I was just wondering, because when I used the built in transform-settings of final cut with keyframes I could scale the horizontal video to a vertical aspect without any compound clip.

But this way it orks, thanks a lot for your help!

By the way, it would be great if you could set the "curvature" to even higher levels so there is even more of the "ease in and out effect".

Oct 10, 2021 9:31 AM in response to PeteHikers

I really can't explain the mechanism where using an effect to scale clip content always crops at the frame edges of the sized clip and the Transform Scale scaling everything as you would expect. The gist of it is: Transforms are at the *end* of the "Effects chain" and *everything* is scaled. Effects applied in between the "clip" and its Transforms use a different mechanism. By using this effect, you are trading that ability (of Transform) for the easing (you can still accomplish the same thing, it just takes a little more work.)

The curvature of easing is fixed. It only goes between 0 and 100% and it really isn't significantly different than the built in easings in FCPX.

The effect of easing is more noticeable the more time you can give it (and I mean real time, not just a percentage of the clip - longer clips with more time can be made to have more easing applied.)

That said, it doesn't mean you can't cheat! If you apply one Scale All by Clip Length effect and set the timing for 1/2 the length of the animation you want and ADD ANOTHER Scale All by Clip Length and set the animation for 2/3rds the length of the animation you can kind of "double" the effect of easing. I'll give you a settings example:

Set Scale All (1) with a Start value of 0% (or your minimum); End value of 100% (not more - you have to "reset" the quality to be 100%) - Curvature = 100. Start Time = 0, End Time = 25%.

Add another Scale All and set the Start value at 100%, End value at your Scale Max (say 300%), Curvature = 100. Start Time set to 12.5% (1/2 of 25%) and End time for 50% — curvature at 100.

This is an approximation for double curvature (at least more easing at the end). The End Time of 1 and the Start Time of 2 are somewhat flexible - and should "cross over" as smoothly as possible.

You should have enough info to experiment further, if you want.

Add ease in/out to curves when animating scale?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.