Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Photos always automatically start after boot/reboot and how can I stop it?

Why does Photos always automatically start after boot/reboot and how can I stop it?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 9:59 AM

One more attempt: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 9:59 AM in response to Asta123

One more attempt: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 9, 2021 6:07 AM in response to Asta123

Hello Asta123,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, the Photos app starts up when you restart the Mac. We'll do our best to assist.

It sounds like the Photos app has been added to your start up items. Try removing it from the list using these steps: Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac

That should solve it, but if you still have struggles let us know.

Wishing you well, cheers!

Oct 9, 2021 9:34 AM in response to Asta123

If you have a peripheral connected to your Mac that would make Photos think it's a camera or a memory card from a camera Photos will open. Do you have any flash drives formatted FAT32 connected?

You can prevent this by opening Image Capture and checking the sidebar under Devices to see what is listed there. Then click on this button

and select No Application from the menu:

Oct 9, 2021 9:16 AM in response to destiny241

Thanks, but this did not work.

In the Login list, Photos was not listed at all, but I went ahead and deleted all items and then re-started. Photos still initiated.

I right-clicked on the photos icon in the dock and went to options. "Open at Login" was NOT checked.

I am wondering if I erased/deleted Photos completely (saving the pictures to a removable drive) and then downloading and re-installing Photos if that would work. I found Photos for iMac on the internet, curious that it is not listed in Applications.

What do you think?

Oct 9, 2021 10:50 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks to all that tried to help me.

Apparently, I must have had a "brain fart". This problem was self-imposed, I had an old cell phone attached that I use only for a game that is on it. Mac Os did not identify it as a device in Image Capture but did recognize it as a device. A bit confusing needless to say. In the future, if this type of problem shows up, the first step should be to disconnect all external devices and then reboot. If the problem does not turn up, you are good,

Again, thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.