Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing photos from iPhone to an external drive

Hi,

I've been trying to import photos from iPhone directly to an external drive. I'd like to have the photos in JPEG format and to keep their original metadata.

The best way I have found so far was to use Image Capture and then convert them with Quick Action. However I've noticed that the Date Modified or Date Created of the pictures imported by Image Capture are changed to the current date, even though the Image Capture can read the date of the original photo.

Is there a better way to import photos and keep the original date, when the photo was taken?

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 4:52 PM

I'm not sure if there is another way to do what you want, but I use the iMazing app to do offloading of photos and videos from my iPhone to my Mac and the various drives connected to it - and it does indeed preserve both the creation date and date modified data in the transferred file.

iMazing does a whole lot more and is very powerful.

(Someone else may have another way to transfer the images from Phone to Mac where that info is preserved without using a 3rd party app.)

https://imazing.com

MtD

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2021 4:52 PM in response to rado-van-heady

I'm not sure if there is another way to do what you want, but I use the iMazing app to do offloading of photos and videos from my iPhone to my Mac and the various drives connected to it - and it does indeed preserve both the creation date and date modified data in the transferred file.

iMazing does a whole lot more and is very powerful.

(Someone else may have another way to transfer the images from Phone to Mac where that info is preserved without using a 3rd party app.)

https://imazing.com

MtD

Importing photos from iPhone to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.