You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carrying the photo date data from my iphone onto my hard drive.

I transferred the photos from my iphone to Photos on my MacAir. All good so far - the photos show the correct date and time. However, when I exported them onto my hard drive, the date and time data shows as the date and time they transferred off my phone, not the date and time the photo was taken. I have never had that happen before - it's a bit puzzling. Has anyone else seen that and any thoughts on how to fix it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 1:06 AM

6 replies

Oct 25, 2023 7:41 AM in response to Dooweedoowap

What date do you see for that image in a Finder window with the setting Finder > View > Show Preview on the right? "Content Created" should show the datetime when the image was taken, and it is the most important date tag for images. But social media sites like Facebook, WhatsApp etc strip off such metadata. File create & modification dates might be the same, but they are quite fragile.

Dec 20, 2023 8:26 PM in response to Dooweedoowap

I am having the same issue as OP with lost metadata when I transfer my photos off my iPhone 12 mini. I previously used an old MacBook Pro (2014), used Image Capture to an external HD and had no issues. My old computer had to be replaced, so I purchased a Mac Mini and new external SSD for storage. I'm going through the same steps (Image Capture to external storage), but for some reason, the metadata for all pictures imported through Image Capture is the transfer date for everything instead of any date associated with the photos. Would love some help with this if anyone has come across a solution. Thanks.

Carrying the photo date data from my iphone onto my hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.