Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get Wpa2 or Wpa3

How do I get wpa2 or wpa3. WiFi says the one I am using is not safe

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 8:17 PM

Hello paulheil,

In addition to what user TheLittles said, this Apple Support article has information about Wi-Fi router settings recommended by Apple. I also have pasted the security settings section for you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

”Router settings

To ensure that your devices can connect securely and reliably to your network, apply these settings consistently to each Wi-Fi router and access point, and to each band of a dual-band, tri-band, or other multiband router.

Security

Set to WPA3 Personal for better security

Set to WPA2/WPA3 Transitional for compatibility with older devices

The security setting defines the type of authentication and encryption used by your router, and the level of privacy protection for data transmitted over its network. Whichever setting you choose, always set a strong password for joining the network.

• WPA3 Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and some older devices. 
  • WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.
  • WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the encryption or cipher type, if available.”

I hope this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2021 8:17 PM in response to paulheil

Hello paulheil,

In addition to what user TheLittles said, this Apple Support article has information about Wi-Fi router settings recommended by Apple. I also have pasted the security settings section for you.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

”Router settings

To ensure that your devices can connect securely and reliably to your network, apply these settings consistently to each Wi-Fi router and access point, and to each band of a dual-band, tri-band, or other multiband router.

Security

Set to WPA3 Personal for better security

Set to WPA2/WPA3 Transitional for compatibility with older devices

The security setting defines the type of authentication and encryption used by your router, and the level of privacy protection for data transmitted over its network. Whichever setting you choose, always set a strong password for joining the network.

• WPA3 Personal is the newest, most secure protocol currently available for Wi-Fi devices. It works with all devices that support Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), and some older devices. 
  • WPA2/WPA3 Transitional is a mixed mode that uses WPA3 Personal with devices that support that protocol, while allowing older devices to use WPA2 Personal (AES) instead.
  • WPA2 Personal (AES) is appropriate when you can't use one of the more secure modes. In that case, also choose AES as the encryption or cipher type, if available.”

I hope this helps.

Oct 8, 2021 7:58 PM in response to paulheil

paulheil Said:

"How do I get Wpa2 or Wpa3: How do I get wpa2 or wpa3. WiFi says the one I am using is not safe"

-------

Getting WPA3:

The router is using WPA2 for the encryption protocol, which is no longer secure. So, you have to either reconfigure the router's settings to be using WPA3, or upgrade to a new router that supports WPA3. Older devices may not support WPA3. So, your router would have to have WPA2/WPA3 open for use. You need log in using the Default Gateway. Without getting too technical here, look up the manufacturer's Web site to find out how to configure all of this.

How do I get Wpa2 or Wpa3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.