How do I switch fromWpA 2 to WPA 3 for router

My router for Wi-Fi I weak WPA2. How to switch to WPA 3? My security I feel is weak.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 11:04 AM

To eliminate the weak security warning, change the security settings on your router to WPA3 or to WPA2 AES (note that there are WPA2 settings other than AES that won't eliminate the weak security warning). How you do that varies by router. If you don't have the instructions for your router, do an internet search for instructions for your router brand/model or if your router is supplied by your internet service provider, check their website or customer support. Also see: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Also, if you have an older router, it may not have a WPA3 option.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 11:04 AM in response to Babbette1

To eliminate the weak security warning, change the security settings on your router to WPA3 or to WPA2 AES (note that there are WPA2 settings other than AES that won't eliminate the weak security warning). How you do that varies by router. If you don't have the instructions for your router, do an internet search for instructions for your router brand/model or if your router is supplied by your internet service provider, check their website or customer support. Also see: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Also, if you have an older router, it may not have a WPA3 option.

Nov 24, 2023 9:51 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have an Arris G36 Router which I just changed to the WPA3 Security setting because I was getting a message about weak security. However, I am using an iMac 27" with Ventura 13.6, an Airport Time Capsule, and Airport Utility 6.39 which does not have the WPA3 setting. These are the only choices:

I suppose I should be using some other software but I'm not familiar with anything that's not Mac. Any suggestions for replacing Airport Utility? Thank you

Oct 7, 2023 4:05 PM in response to Babbette1

Unless you have a new router......one purchased in the last year or two......your router likely does not have a WPA3 Security setting.

Let's find out. What is the make and model number of your router?

Note that we do not need a serial number, so please do not post that. Just the manufacturer name and product model number so we get on a support site for the router and take a look at the features / specifications.

Nov 26, 2023 6:20 AM in response to katemap

Replacing AirPort Utility.....even if it were possible (it's not).....will not help you.

Remember, the AirPort Time Capsule was designed in 2013....10 years ago. WPA3 did not even exist at that time, so it would have been impossible for the Time Capsule to incorporate WPA3, which was not introduced until 2018.

The AirPort Time Capsule has a hardware limitation of WPA2 Personal. That is the best that it can do. Using other software will not magically allow the Time Capsule to do something that it was never designed to do.

The good news is that WPA2 still provides good security for home networks.

How do I switch fromWpA 2 to WPA 3 for router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.