Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other" storage suddenly huge and yes it is real loss of free space

So I got a disk space warning on my Mac Mini today (2018 intel model - 6 core, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD). Storage report shows "other" is suddenly 706.77GB (free space is 30.8GB) and command+I on the drive also confirms free space is only 30.8GB.

I can confirm it is NOT

• Cache (that is currently only megabytes, less than 1GB)
  • logs (a few megabytes)
  • corrupted local Time Machine snapshots
  • anything in /tmp or /var or ~/Library (and no core dumps or anything like that)

I rebuilt the Photos library but nothing changed, same thing with rebuilding the SpotLight index. I also removed DropBox and OneDrive and cleaned up their remnants in ~/Library in case a bad sync was causing it (shouldn't be as this machine is on 24/7, on a APC UPS 1300 and uses an ethernet connection to my router and AT&T gateway).

I use CCC as a second backup to a second (external) USB 3 SSD but its logs are clean and show no issues with any recent backups.

Running Big Sur 11.6.

Last night I was attempting a large upload to AWS via scp (~2.24 TB) from an external drive (connected via USB 3) and that dropped at some point overnight with a broken pipe error, but I cannot find any issue related to that in terms of a corrupted cache or log. And even even when SCP fails, I have never know it to ever leave large, unfindable remnants behind?

So I am out of directories to even look in for something and I cannot nail down exactly when the drive filled up with, well, whatever. I only know the disk space warning occurred this past morning.

Anyone with ideas, I am all (virtual) ears. TIA!

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 4:20 AM

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper

See used and available storage space on your Mac

And Apple Final Word on Managing the " Other " category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 4:20 AM in response to Michael Black

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper

See used and available storage space on your Mac

And Apple Final Word on Managing the " Other " category

• Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Oct 8, 2021 8:58 PM in response to Michael Black

Booting into Safe Mode should have run fsck but just in case you could boot into Recovery and run First Aid.

Try ejecting all external drives, and then empty trash and reboot. Then use something like Daisy Disk or OmniDiskSweeper to figure out where the disk space is going. DaisyDisk does this best, you can authenticate and show where EVERYTHING is taking space, even protected system areas that you normally can't see into. The version of DaisyDisk I use had a fee to purchase, OmniDiskSweeper is free.

Oct 8, 2021 9:06 PM in response to steve626

Thank you for that! I have GrandPerspective (had it for years) but I know it simply cannot access parts of the files system. So I have been plowing around in the CLI (which with sudo limitations in MacOS I find awkward to sometimes find hidden stuff - used to Linux and past UNIX's like IRIX where sudo=root and was genuinely God of all things.

I will check out those two and see what I can find with one of them. I did eject and shut down all external drives so I am just searching/querying the internal SSD.

Oct 8, 2021 9:20 PM in response to Michael Black

My experience has been that OmniDiskSweeper cannot see into certain parts of the disk, but DaisyDisk can. However DaisyDisk (full featured version) is not free. But your problem sounds really serious, it might be worth buying DaisyDisk. Be careful with DaisyDisk, if you tell it to delete certain essential files it will (after making you authenticate sometimes multiple times) but that might make your Mac unstable so take care with that.

Some programs use "scratch space" in an invisible way and what they are doing can be hard to see. For instance, Adobe Lightroom can use up huge amounts of space this way, but it is freed up upon reboot (or sometimes just quitting Lightroom). It sounds like you are running other software that works with huge files, however.

I have Grand Perspective also but am not as familiar with what it can access.

Oct 9, 2021 5:33 PM in response to steve626

Steve, thanks! I paid for DaisyDisk (at t$10 what did I have to loose) and got it sorted out. I still cannot say for certain what specific file was corrupt, but it was the purgeable space that was the issue. While MacOS should (and obviously does) handle that dynamically as disk space for user files is demanded, in my case it clearly was no longer doing so. When I had tried to copy a 42 GB folder to the drive from a thumb drive, that was when I got the error that there was insufficient space and reportedly I only had 30.8 GB available.

So, after deleting 635 GB of purgeable space, all is fine again. I assume it has to have been a corrupted Time Machine snapshot (although I understand Carbon Copy Cloner also makes snapshots, so maybe one of those). My cache and logs were all small so the system management of those areas was not the issue. Whatever it was, it was keeping the OS from dynamically managing that purgeable space so when I needed more space it could not clear it out for me.

OmniDiskSweeper does not even show any of that specific disk space usage, so wouldn't have helped me at all. GrandPerspective cannot access those hidden parts of the file system (hidden even to root in the CLI). The paid version of DaisyDisk not only can scan for those file system content, but has the ability to delete them to clean out the purgeable space when such can issue comes up. From what I have been able to discover, I think it is the only utility that can do so in Big Sur.

So I learned a few things about disk space management in MacOS Big Sur, and now have a handy (but hopefully rarely needed) tool to deal with such issues should then ever come up again.

Oct 9, 2021 5:39 PM in response to PRP_53

P.Phillips - I appreciate the input, but the issue with that first link is it does not talk about the purgeable space that MacOS manages for things like Time Machine local snapshots. And those files are not remotely easy to find or access in Big Sur - they are all locked down, hidden and not even accessible (at least not by any means useable in any previous MacOS release) even to root.

Previous versions of MacOS and OS X, if you were comfortable using root, had ways to fix issues with most or many of those hidden system mangled files and directories. I could not find any way to do so with Big Sur though. I can see the snapshots in the CLI in Big Sur, but I cannot purge them as root.

If anything in that dynamically managed purgeable data gets corrupted such that MacOS itself can no longer manage it and release disk space as the user needs it, then you're stuck. At least stuck without a lot more system level admin knowledge than I possess for MacOS 11.6. DaisyDIsk is actually a brilliant solution to what for any user should be an unlikely, but obviously not impossible situation.

Oct 10, 2021 2:45 AM in response to Michael Black

Well your level of Knowledge and Tech things is above mine for sure :-)

What I am aware of is in Big Sur - the OS is now in and runs from a " Sealed " and " Read Only Volume " to further block off any and all changes to the OS except by Apple. This takes the Security aspect introduced in Catalina of two Volume - one Read Only and other User Date - to yet a higher level.

Oct 10, 2021 5:36 PM in response to PRP_53

I have tried to keep up with all these sorts of changes but am definitely behind on my self-education. Now I need to see if/how to simply disable Time Machine (and CCC) local snapshots as I’ve done in the past with previous MacOS releases.

My Mac Mini is on 24/7 (the monitors sleep, but not the Mac itself) and it (the Mac not the monitors) and it’s TM and CCC drive are on an APC 1300 UPS which can easily power them all far longer than any power outage I’ve experienced in the past 5 years (and everything will get shutdown when the APC battery gets below 20% capacity). So I don’t even need local TM (or any snapshots) as my TM drive is never “not available”. So in the past just disabled snapshots.

So I now have a project to pursue I guess - how to disable TM snapshots in Big Sur (the older methods I know do not work due to the changes in the system). But at least even if I never figure that out, I have a way to clean things up should a snapshot ever get fubar’d again and the dynamic disk space allocation gets locked up.

And I did submit feedback about this experience as it would be good for Apple to proactively provide some means of force-purging purgeable space in the rare event the OS itself gets stuck doing it because of some corrupted file or directory. Maybe a “rescue purgeable space” option in disk manager or something like that?

Oct 11, 2021 4:58 AM in response to Michael Black

In context of " Other" storage suddenly huge and yes it is real loss of free space " all provided information is relevant.

Interesting article over here How to Clear Purgeable Space on macOS Monterey/Big Sur/Catalina, Sierra, Mojave: Data, Files, Disk Space

Further to CCC - if one is using the Big Sur CCC 6.03 and turn off the Snapshot configuration and Enable Safety Net the cache is capture on the Destination Drive and not on the Internal drive.

"Other" storage suddenly huge and yes it is real loss of free space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.