Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD Mini 6th Gen: What to look for in a suitable USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector

I have recently purchased IPAD Mini 6th Gen

My PC only has USB-A Ports, so I need a USB-A to USB-C Cable to sync and backup my IPAD to Itunes.

I've purchased a 3rd party cable but my IPAD isn't detected.

Before I try and buy another cable, What are the technical requirements of a compatible USB-A to USB-C that I need to look for?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 1:44 AM

The adapter suggested by ProustGiulo is intended to provide a USB Type-A for your USB-C equipped iPad mini. This arrangement is of no use whatsoever in attempting to connect your iPad to the PC - as you will be attempting to connect USB Type-A (your iPad with suggested adapter) to another USB Type-A (your PC). This connection arrangement is disallowed in the USB standard; you cannot directly interconnect two USB Controller/Root hubs.

USB Type-A connections must always connect to a USB Type-B - or with an appropriate cable, to USB-C.

You were already on the right track in looking for a USB3 Type-A to USB-C cable. A good quality cable, such as those marketed by Apple, should perform the task without issue:

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

If your iPad is not recognised by your PC when connected, try using a different USB port on your computer. These support pages will help with troubleshooting:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 1:44 AM in response to AusUser5

The adapter suggested by ProustGiulo is intended to provide a USB Type-A for your USB-C equipped iPad mini. This arrangement is of no use whatsoever in attempting to connect your iPad to the PC - as you will be attempting to connect USB Type-A (your iPad with suggested adapter) to another USB Type-A (your PC). This connection arrangement is disallowed in the USB standard; you cannot directly interconnect two USB Controller/Root hubs.

USB Type-A connections must always connect to a USB Type-B - or with an appropriate cable, to USB-C.

You were already on the right track in looking for a USB3 Type-A to USB-C cable. A good quality cable, such as those marketed by Apple, should perform the task without issue:

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

If your iPad is not recognised by your PC when connected, try using a different USB port on your computer. These support pages will help with troubleshooting:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

If your Windows PC doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

IPAD Mini 6th Gen: What to look for in a suitable USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.