Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to see Software Update on my System Preferences screen, what can I do?

I'm trying to upgrade my Safari versions but cannot find the right place to do so. The steps provided take me to System Preference and then to choose Software Update, but that option is not available on my screen. What can I do?

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 10:12 AM

Here are a couple of things that may be helpful. First, Safari is installed as part of the Mac's operating system and normally can not be individually updated. There was a recent Safari update to version 15 and that has caused many people serious problems, so I wouldn't install it until a fix is released. As to updating your computer's operating system, if it shows none available, that means that your current OS is now up to date. If you wish to change to a newer operating system, that is called an upgrade, not an update. You can find upgrades in the Apple App store. If you wanted to upgrade your Safari, because of access problems, at this time I would suggest using another browser such as Firefox or Chrome.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 10:12 AM in response to adriaan99

Here are a couple of things that may be helpful. First, Safari is installed as part of the Mac's operating system and normally can not be individually updated. There was a recent Safari update to version 15 and that has caused many people serious problems, so I wouldn't install it until a fix is released. As to updating your computer's operating system, if it shows none available, that means that your current OS is now up to date. If you wish to change to a newer operating system, that is called an upgrade, not an update. You can find upgrades in the Apple App store. If you wanted to upgrade your Safari, because of access problems, at this time I would suggest using another browser such as Firefox or Chrome.

I am unable to see Software Update on my System Preferences screen, what can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.