Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook sleep wake kernal issue

My MacBook Air 2017 (*gb ram 128gb ssd) on Big Sur 11.6 It has developed an unusual problem. It has to restart every time I leave it idle for more than 10 minutes. If I close the lid or even just let it sit. 

I have done an SMC rest, NVRAM thing, completely erased the drive and formatted it, run apple diagnostics multiple times, none of this have fixed the issue. 

Would anyone here know what hardware issue it might be? 

I have also tried disabling standby and sleep through terminal even that has not helped.

Below is the kernel report I got

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2021 4:24 PM

You can try installing macOS to an external USB drive to see if the problem occurs while booted to the external drive. If the issue does not occur while booted to the external drive, then you can feel better about getting the SSD replaced. Testing with the while booted to the external drive also may help you to discover if the SSD is dropping offline when the laptop goes to sleep. If you wake the laptop while booted from the external drive you can check the Apple System Profiler (Option-click the Apple menu and select the first item) under "SATA" to see if the information for the internal drive shows up. I suggest checking there before a problem appears so that you know what information should be there. If you leave the System Profiler app open, then you will need to use Command + R to refresh the information in the profiler to get the latest information. If nothing shows up under "SATA", then check under "NVMExpress", but I'm fairly certain this laptop only uses a SATA based SSD. If the internal SSD disappears when waking the laptop even if the laptop doesn't have a Kernel Panic or unexpected shutdown, then you can be fairly confident the SSD is at fault.

Unfortunately the posted log doesn't provide any useful information.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2021 4:24 PM in response to Hussain3450

You can try installing macOS to an external USB drive to see if the problem occurs while booted to the external drive. If the issue does not occur while booted to the external drive, then you can feel better about getting the SSD replaced. Testing with the while booted to the external drive also may help you to discover if the SSD is dropping offline when the laptop goes to sleep. If you wake the laptop while booted from the external drive you can check the Apple System Profiler (Option-click the Apple menu and select the first item) under "SATA" to see if the information for the internal drive shows up. I suggest checking there before a problem appears so that you know what information should be there. If you leave the System Profiler app open, then you will need to use Command + R to refresh the information in the profiler to get the latest information. If nothing shows up under "SATA", then check under "NVMExpress", but I'm fairly certain this laptop only uses a SATA based SSD. If the internal SSD disappears when waking the laptop even if the laptop doesn't have a Kernel Panic or unexpected shutdown, then you can be fairly confident the SSD is at fault.

Unfortunately the posted log doesn't provide any useful information.

Oct 9, 2021 11:51 PM in response to HWTech

I just checked for the kernel panic logs, there aren't any.

I did not restore from a back and did check for the issue before installing any kind of software, the problem persisted.

I downloaded DriveDX it says my SSD is fine.

Sometimes when it shuts off on standby mode and I have to restart the Mac fails to boot and shows me the file with a question mark logo. The one that means the SSD is not bootable. Which is what is leading me to believe it might be the SSD

What I can't understand is how predictable it is, If the SSD had an issue, it would cause more and different problems, yet its so predictable. I close the lid come back after 30 minutes, have to restart, it might give me the file with question mark error, if I restart it works fine. Sometimes I may get the sleep wake failure error. I have added one of those sleep wake error reports in the log, does that tell you anything?

Oct 16, 2021 9:38 PM in response to HWTech

Update: New Symptom

I have noticed something super odd. This issue only occurs when in cold environments. If I have my AC on and the macbook gets cold to the touch it will force a restart. If Im in room temperature (Usually 27-28 degrees celsius) the macbook is COMPLETELY normal.

The DriveDX thing also shows the temperature thing as low.

Im assuming this still means my SSD needs to be replaced, I would love to avoid that. In any case what could cause such a specific issue!? Would you know?

Oct 9, 2021 6:23 PM in response to Hussain3450

See if there are any Kernel Panic logs. These logs have a file name beginning with "kernel" and ending in ".panic" and can be found in "/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports". If there are any panic logs please post several of them here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

When performed the clean install did you test the laptop before migrating or restoring from a backup and before installing any third party software? Did you erase the whole physical SSD instead of just the "Macintosh HD" volume or hidden Container?

Run DriveDx to check the health of the SSD. Post the complete health report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Oct 10, 2021 10:19 AM in response to Hussain3450

Do you have enough free storage space on the SSD? macOS should always have at least 20GB of free storage space available for the normal operation of macOS.

It does sound like the SSD may be failing even though the DriveDx report does look Ok. You can try unchecking "Put hard drive to sleep when possible to see if that helps. This setting used to be in the "Energy Saver" System Preferences, but in Big Sur it may be on the "Battery" System Preferences. If this helps, then it would further point to the SSD as the problem.

Unfortunately there is no way to be certain of the problem unless you see the SSD disappear while you are booted to an external drive or a Kernel Panic shows an error related to the SSD.

You should be extra diligent about having frequent and regular backups so you don't lose any important files if the SSD finally fails completely. It can be very difficult to impossible to recover data from a failed SSD plus it would be expensive.

If you want to replace the SSD you can find a drop in replacement from OWC (their SSDs will be larger & faster).

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-air/2013-2014-2015

Oct 17, 2021 9:08 AM in response to Hussain3450

You need to find out why the SSD ended up at 72C. Was the rest of the laptop extremely hot at the time or was the high temperature only the SSD? If only the SSD, then the SSD was either being written to non-stop for too long or the SSD is bad. The only way to determine this is to observe the system closely when it happens.

Like I mentioned earlier installing and running macOS from an external USB drive may help you to determine if the internal SSD is bad (unfortunately not all SSD failures can be identified by DriveDx since controller issues don't show up in the report).

If the issue is easily reproducible, then that makes it easier for the repair tech to figure out the problem. Again, booting the laptop externally may help you confirm if the SSD is at fault either because you can actually confirm the internal SSD disappeared or even having no issues occur which may also indicate the internal SSD is bad.

It is all a matter of careful observation and swapping parts. The more reproducible the problem the better.

Oct 31, 2021 11:41 AM in response to Hussain3450

I had a similar issue where my mac shutdown within 10 mins after boots. Done various diagnostics including visiting apple store.

Finally, i reinstalled (using option cmd+option+r) clean mac on (deleting all content using disk drive), this has solve my problem and no more restarts.

This is great as i was even told my apple guys to replace logic board (costing around £600). You could try this after backing up your data. Thanks

Macbook sleep wake kernal issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.