Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn’t my magic keyboard work wirelessly?

I just bought the new Imac computer in yellow. It’s so pretty! My matching keyboard worked for the first couple weeks until I updated to the new iOS 15. Now it doesn’t recognize my keyboard unless I plug it in. After I plug it in a message pops up in the right corner saying my keyboard is now wirelessly connected. Any idea why?

iMac 24″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 10:14 AM

Please follow the steps as outlined below:

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 10:14 AM in response to Scottishsmoothy

Please follow the steps as outlined below:

The following will require any USB keyboard and mouse. If you don’t have them, borrow or buy them, they are inexpensive!

1.     Connect the USB keyboard and mouse to the computer.

2.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

3.     Un-pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

4.     Turn off Bluetooth

5.     Restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

6.     Restart the computer normally.

7.     Open System Preferences – Bluetooth

8.     Turn on Bluetooth

9.     Re-Pair the wireless keyboard and mouse.

10.  Unplug the USB keyboard and mouse and begin testing the wireless devices again. 

Oct 11, 2021 11:50 AM in response to Scottishsmoothy

Update:

I restarted my computer without unpairing the mouse and without turning off bluetooth on the Mac and it connected my keyboard wirelessly on its own. Weird thing is, in the settings it doesn't see my keyboard when I click to set up wireless keyboard. But then a message popped on my screen showing a keyboard. long story short, restarting the computer did the trick.

Why doesn’t my magic keyboard work wirelessly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.