Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pixels

Is it possible to increase pixel size before taking a picture

What do some images come out way over 1000 pixels and others at 320

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 10:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 1:05 PM

The size of the camera sensor for a camera is fixed. That’s the maximum resolution available for the camera.

An iPad can use digital zoom (stretching the image on the display before triggering the shutter), and can also use different back-side camera lenses for photos. This zoom gets you “subjectively closer”, trading off for resolution.

Different iPad Pro models have different camera resolutions, and the resolutions of the front and back cameras usually also differ. The iPad Pro model and year requested that was requested above will tell us what the limits of your participation configuration are.

Within the Photo tool and other export tools for transferring files, you can select larger or smaller image file sizes, and these image sizes mean higher or lower resolution.

Usual means to transfer full-resolution images is with iCloud Photos (which is also available on Windows), or by connecting the iPhone to the Windows computer with a cable, and importing the photos that way.

Sending photos around by mail usually gets lower-resolution images, as the higher-resolution images require more storage, or sometimes much more storage.

For some related details: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 1:05 PM in response to Dav63

The size of the camera sensor for a camera is fixed. That’s the maximum resolution available for the camera.

An iPad can use digital zoom (stretching the image on the display before triggering the shutter), and can also use different back-side camera lenses for photos. This zoom gets you “subjectively closer”, trading off for resolution.

Different iPad Pro models have different camera resolutions, and the resolutions of the front and back cameras usually also differ. The iPad Pro model and year requested that was requested above will tell us what the limits of your participation configuration are.

Within the Photo tool and other export tools for transferring files, you can select larger or smaller image file sizes, and these image sizes mean higher or lower resolution.

Usual means to transfer full-resolution images is with iCloud Photos (which is also available on Windows), or by connecting the iPhone to the Windows computer with a cable, and importing the photos that way.

Sending photos around by mail usually gets lower-resolution images, as the higher-resolution images require more storage, or sometimes much more storage.

For some related details: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2021 1:01 PM in response to TonyCollinet

I have been emailing images to my PC from either my iPhone or iPad, what I don't understand is why some of them are 3400+ x 2400+ pixels and others are 320x240. when I change the size from 340 to 1000- which is what I need- it looses clarity.

I understand that is what happens when you enlarge an image, but what I don't understand is why the camera seems to randomly pick the pixel size when the picture is taken?? Is there some setting I cannot find??

pixels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.