Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete or rename a saved template in Pages v4.3

I'm still using Pages 4.3 which came with my computer. I realize it's ancient, but I like it. Tried v8.1 when it came out but found it clumsy for what I was doing at the time.

Can't see how to delete or rename templates - hoping maybe someone remembers?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 12:55 PM

Unlike the newer Pages applications, there is no right-click of the mouse and choosing rename or delete from the pop-up menu in Pages '09. You cannot rename or delete your custom templates from within the application. Quit Pages, and then…

Click once on the Desktop to wake Finder up and press shift+cmd+G to open the Go to Folder panel. Copy/paste the following into that panel:

~/Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/Templates/My Templates

This will open a Finder window on your templates, where you can delete or rename them in the Finder. Quit the Finder window when done.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 12:55 PM in response to lynnefrombc

Unlike the newer Pages applications, there is no right-click of the mouse and choosing rename or delete from the pop-up menu in Pages '09. You cannot rename or delete your custom templates from within the application. Quit Pages, and then…

Click once on the Desktop to wake Finder up and press shift+cmd+G to open the Go to Folder panel. Copy/paste the following into that panel:

~/Library/Application Support/iWork/Pages/Templates/My Templates

This will open a Finder window on your templates, where you can delete or rename them in the Finder. Quit the Finder window when done.

Oct 9, 2021 1:14 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you so much! I really didn't have much hope anyone would reply lol.

It worked, and I'm keeping your post for future reference.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me - I don't want to upgrade to a new OS until pandemic under better control - I won't do it myself, so it has to go into the shop, and I'll also need to replace my scanner as mine won't be compatible - so this is on hold for awhile.

Best, - and stay safe -

Lynne

Oct 9, 2021 1:42 PM in response to VikingOSX

Interesting...I knew Pages '09 wasn't supported now - I also have the Late 2013 27" model, running 10.13.6 on High Sierra.

Good thing they brought it back for you. 32-bit software is why I'll have to replace my perfectly good Canon scanner.

I'm wondering what the new Pages is like - I guess I'll have to upgrade my OS, for security updates which I'm not getting any more. When I take it in, I'm going to ask if they can keep Pages '09 installed. It's simple, straight-forward and I use constantly.

Thanks again :)

Oct 9, 2021 1:55 PM in response to lynnefrombc

See if your Canon Scanner model is supported by the paid (free trial) 64-bit VueScan Professional software. I purchased VueScan in 2010 for a scanner that Canon had abandoned even earlier than that. VueScan Professional has never dropped support for this ancient scanner across 11 years of macOS releases, and that scanner still works in my M1 Mac mini running Big Sur 11.6. I have never paid VueScan a dime in upgrade costs since purchase, nor am I rewarded by them for mentioning the product here.

See the Canon scanners supported by VueScan Professional at the end of that link.

Pages v11.2 (current) is not based on Pages '09 v4.3 and does not have a backwards compatible document format, and many familiar '09 features are either missing or implemented in a way to bring out the worst in you. 😉 Once you open a Pages '09 document in Pages v11.2 and attempt to make a change, you will be prompted to allow Pages to convert the document. Once it does that, it is no longer a Pages '09 format document.

Oct 9, 2021 3:07 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks once again - what good information!

I did check the Canon website a few months ago and it wasn't going to be supported. I didn't know about VueScan, and I'll definitely check it out.

And thanks so muchfor the heads-up on Pages 11.2 - now I know I hate it. :D

At least when I tried an existing document in v8.1 I was able to save it back to v.4.3. Could also change any new ones I'd created in v8.1 back to v4.3.

I'm so glad I talked to you, it would never have occurred to me that it wouldn't be backwards compatible.

Cheers,

Lynne

Oct 10, 2021 7:15 AM in response to lynnefrombc

When Apple introduced the new Pages design in Oct 2013, it was not based on Pages '09 and was missing roughly 100+ features that were present in Pages '09. It is now eight years later, and many features of Pages '09 have not been restored in Pages v11.*.

If you open a Pages '09 document in Pages v11.* (actually 5.0 - 11.*) and there are features in that document that Pages v11.* does not support, those features will be mangled or removed when it is converted to the new Pages document format. Not only is the original Pages '09 document overwritten when Pages v11.* converts it, but the act of exporting to Pages '09 does not undo the document conversion and feature removal present in the original Pages '09 document.

I have recommended those with Pages '09 documents make a backup of them, and only allow the current Pages access to copies of them.

Oct 10, 2021 9:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

I would have been just sick if I'd gotten into that mess - with no way out!? I can't even imagine how upset I would have been! It's hard for me to believe that they'd do this to us - I've had so much trust in them for so many years. :(

I use Time Machine to backup onto an external hard drive, and after what you've told me I'll do all my documents onto a second external as well.

They always say the 'security upgrades' are so important. I do have Malware Bytes on mine, installed after a virus 3 years ago.

Do you really think it's necessary to upgrade our OS to more current versions? Full disclosure, I'll admit to you that I am a senior - very senior - I'm active and independent but I don't need the latest in Garage Band and others' features, or top speed for gaming lol. Just Photos, Pages, email, FaceTime, messages, Grab, Notes, Safari and Firefox.

Thanks again for the lowdown on Pages - now I'll be prepared and can avoid that disaster.

Cheers,

Lynne

How do I delete or rename a saved template in Pages v4.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.